Sunday, August 10, 2008

Summer Birthday

My birthday is December 19th. I HATE a December birthday. You get the combo gift, the "oops I forgot, better pull something out from under the tree" gift, gifts wrapped in Christmas paper...I have aways wanted a summer birthday. Back in May of 06 I did the GJCC Triathlon and per the “age up” rule; they wrote a 38 on my leg. I figured since they considered me 38 I might as well have my birthday. It was great, I got to sit by the pool and enjoy a few cold beverages. No one else bought into this summer birthday thing, just me and the USAT. Ronnie was totally against it and told me I could not do it again. So I had my 39th birthday in December of 07 even though they had been calling me 39 all year.
This year is the big one, four oh. I had to say it for the first time at Memphis in May. I wanted to celebrate turning 40 then but knew Ronnie wouldn't go for it so didn't even bring it up.
I haven't really thought about my birthday since then.
My friend Angie came in town this weekend. Angie and I have been friends since high school. She is also my drinking buddy, I can always count on her to keep on drinking with me.
This weekend was also a hard training weekend. Thursday was an hour of stretching and 15 minutes of abs to get ready. Friday I had 90 minute run followed by 3600 yards of swimming. Then I had to shop and clean house to prepare for Angie's visit.
Saturday morning I got up at 4:45 for my long ride. I wanted to get started at first light so that I could be home before Angie arrived with her boys. The plan called for 4 hours but I am concerned about the number of long rides on this plan so I wanted to extend it to 5 hours. I rode for an hour and a half, met up with Tracy and rode a nice slow loop with her, then I was off on my own again. I had a sitter until 11 so decided to see how many miles I could get in. 90.3 in 5 hours and 25 minutes, and I felt GREAT!!! I got home got cleaned up and ate just before Angie showed up. As soon as she got unloaded I said, "time for a beer? I am in need of a recovery drink". We sat by the pool drinking all afternoon. She wasn't keeping up and then announces that we have "got to get the kids fed". No one had said they were hungry. But what the heck, we were going to the Mexican place to sit outside and they have beer there too. I went in to tell Ronnie we were going but he had a headache and didn't want to go. I trash talked him the entire dinner. Angie still wasn't keeping up on the beer and then when we were leaving she took FOREVER in the restroom. Finally we head home.
We pull in the driveway and I said "What the heck is going on? Ronnie has people over. I thought his head hurt!!!!" We go in the backyard and everyone yells "Happy Summer Birthday". I was shocked. I never saw that one coming.
I had the best birthday ever. And to make it even better...Ronnie gave me a note that said "Happy Birthday. Buy your bike Wheels"
Getting up this morning was tough. Angie finally started keeping up on the beer last night and then I had to keep up with her. I really didn't know if I would be able to run to the end of the driveway much less 70 minutes. But I laced up my shoes and headed out. Run went fine. Legs felt great. I got just over 9 miles, slow but done.
Next rest day isn't until Thursday and I will be over due by then.
***edit that should be just over 7 miles run on Sunday. As Lana pointed out, 9 would have been smoking, 7 not so much.

9 comments:

Jill Ann said...

Way to go on the 90.3 mile ride! I continue to say...every week you are going to KILL IT at IM FL 08!!!

I totally understand the sucky Dec b-day. My aunt (yrs ago) changed her Jan bday to July also. So...here's a great way..we can celebrate our bdays in July every year from now on. Mine (anyway) is 7/25...so yours could be 7/19. Sounds like a great plan. I never have anyone to celebrate with me...!!

Way to go on Ronnie and the gang for pulling of such a super surprise!

PS 40 is also wonderful for BQ +5 minutes. When you're rest from IM...

Lisa said...

Happy Early 40!

Anonymous said...

Happy Summer Birthday!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

9 miles in 70 min = 7:46/mile pace. Ain't nothing about that slow!

Too cool about your new wheels! My wheels are in the form of hardwood in my house...LOL...guess I'll just have to work that much harder to keep up with ya!

teacherwoman said...

My birthday is December 9th, so I hear your pain. :)

Happy Summer Birthday!

Looks like your training is going really well! Nice work!

monicac2 said...

What a great surprise. And, once again, you are my hero for getting up in the WEE hours of the morning, getting some really TOUGH workouts done, and being able to drink on top of that? Wow!! That last part would do me in! :)

IronTriTim said...

Early January is just the same, everyone is spent out from Christmas and your birthday gets forgotten :-(
Great ride followed by a run the next day.

Marathon Maritza said...

Happy summer birthday!

I take the cake with Dec. 27th. I don't really mind the whole presents in xmas paper or combo presents, I just hate that I can never have a party or dinner because people seem to always have plans. I'm thinking when I finally own a house, I'll host the New Years' Eve party and make everyone celebrate my bday too!

Rae said...

How fun!!! I love the idea of the early surprise birthday!!!