Sunday, November 26, 2006

Black Friday and Last Long Run

Friday was my “rest day”. I got up at 2:30 am with Dawn and her son. We headed out to Best Buy. When we drove through the parking lot we saw people camped out in tents in line. Dawn suggested that we go to the Best Buy in Southaven. So off she drove. We got to Southaven only to find out there wasn’t a Best Buy. Instead we saw a Circuit City with about 50 people in line. I jumped out of the car and asked someone it I could see their ad. There on the cover was what we were after. I ran back on told Dawn to come on. We got in line and waited. It was about 3:15 by then. At around 4 the employees came out and started handing out sale flyers and vouchers. We got all the flyers but were wondering where all the vouchers were. Turns out they only had 22 laptops and something like 18 desktops. The vouchers all got handed out to people in front of us. Dawn went begging. She got a voucher for a $199 desktop. Then someone offered to trade her the desktop voucher for the laptop voucher. She made the trade and she was happy. I decided to give begging a try. I walked to the front of the line and started calling out “Anyone have a laptop voucher they are not using?”. It didn’t take long before someone said “Oh, yea here you can have this one” Yes, I was happy now. I got back in line with Dawn and her son and we waited for the store to open at 5:00. Someone else offered Dawn another desktop voucher and she took it. Once the doors were open we went right in and got in the checkout line. Dawn’s son ran and grabbed the 1 gig memory cards that were on sale for $2.99 while Dawn and I got the computers we were after. It took an hour to get check out but it is so worth it. I am sitting on my bed right now with my new $299 laptop. I got the FREE wireless router connected and now I don’t have to fight my daughter for computer time. The laptop also came with a bag, some internet software and a printer all for free. And because I spent $250+ I also got a free digital camera. After Circuit City we hit Target and Kohl’s for some more great deals. I LOVE shopping the day after Thanksgiving; it is crazy but so much fun.
Like I said Friday was my rest day so that made Saturday my LAST long run day. We were at my mother-in-laws. I got up at about 8:00 and headed out. It is fairly hilly by her house and the goal for the run was 8-10 miles at marathon pace. I didn’t know if I could do 9:00 miles on those hills but I sure was going to give it a shot. Since I don’t know my way around out there I just did an out and back. I ran 5.08 miles out (the extra 0.08 was in case Garmin decided my run back was shorter then the run out) then turned around and headed back.

The hills were tough but I was feeling strong and holding pace. Final time: 1:29:01, 8:54 pace. Splits look like this: 8:41, 8:56, 8:56, 8:47, 8:47, 8:53, 9:09, 9:03, 9:02, and 8:50. I have less then a week now until my marathon. Ekkk! But I have had several good runs here at the end so I am feeling ready.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you did Great with the new laptop! I know you will enjoy it!

Phil said...

What we will do for a deep discount!

Great run, you really hammered out the miles, even with the hills. Looks like you're more than ready for your marathon.

Congratulations

Brooke said...

Wow, great job with the laptop! I thought about going out and hitting the stores--but too much wine during dinner prevented that.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Great job on the run and the laptop!!

Lance Notstrong said...

Wow, 1GB memory cards for $2.99??? You could make a killing on Ebay with those!!!

That's an awesome deal on the laptop too!!! And now that you have a "free" digital camera, you can show us more pictures on your blog!!! :-)