Monday, November 13, 2006

Endless 800's

I spent the weekend trying to shake this cough and I never had time to squeeze in a workout. Two more days of rest. I did do a better job of eating right so the weekend wasn’t a total wash.
Last night I programmed my Garmin with my last 3 speed workouts!!! When I got up at 4:30 this morning it was COLD. I bundled up and headed out for my run. Since I had programmed 3 workouts I forgot how many 800’s were on the schedule today. No problem, my Garmin would tell me what to do.
I ran a 1.87 mile warm up in 18:34, 9:56 pace.
I took a 1:30 rest interval then started the 800’s.
As I was running I thought to myself, last week was 10 x 400, so I bet this week it is 5 x 800.
I did the first 5 in 4:08, 4:04, 4:15, 4:12, and 4:08. I walked the 1:30 rest intervals. After the fifth 800, I walked and prepared to run just in case I was supposed to do 6. Sure enough, Garmin said run another 800. So off I ran. 3:58. Again, I walked the rest interval and was told by garmin to run another 800. Maybe I miss counted. Ran that one in 4:04. Walked again and then was told to run ANOTHER 800. 4:10. I prayed this was the last one. My legs felt like lead and I didn’t even know if I could make it through a cool down. Finally, after the rest interval, Garmin said cool down time. I ran 1.05 miles in 10:55, 10:23 pace.
When I got home I checked the schedule and sure enough there it was in black and white 8 x 800 (1:30 RI). And I thought it was taper time.

5 comments:

Phil said...

You did very well on 8 800s. Very nice consistent runs 800 after 800. You're coming along very well indeed. Even in the cold and dark you kicked butt.

Joe said...

You pulled off those great times with only 1:30 of rest? Wow, talk about great recovery ability!

jen said...

NICE 800s Michele!! I'm impressed. I felt the same way when I saw the intervals on my schedule this week- where's my taper?? It's coming though, be patient. :D Great job!

Trisaratops said...

1:30 rest! Man, I usually take about a half hour with mine. :) Nicely done!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

YOUCH!!! 8x800's?????? Oh man...as if 6 doesn't normanlly kick my butt!!