Saturday, November 04, 2006

Goodlettsville Half Marathon Race Report

Two nights of coughing made it really hard to get up this morning when the alarm went off 4:30. Thankfully I had to pick Lana up, otherwise I fear I would have rolled over and tried to go back to sleep.
We had a hard time finding the place but we finally made it there. We rushed to get signed up and collect our shirts and stuff. Last year we got really nice long sleeve tech shirts and lots of stuff in our bag. This year a short sleeve tech shirt and an empty bag. Disappointing!!!
We headed to the start line and jumped in the crowd in what looked to be about the middle. A few brief words and we were off.
I stayed with Lana for about a mile. I just couldn’t hold her pace today. I did have her in sight ahead of me for most of the race but there was no catching her.
My goal today was to break 2 hours. Last years time was 1:59 and change.
I was doing a fairly good job of holding a 9:00 pace but was getting passed by tons of people. I would be sure that I was in last place then there would be someone else coming by me. I tried not to let it effect me but it is hard having that many people blow by you.
We got to the first major hill at about 3.5 miles. I got to the top and thought “that wasn’t as bad as I remember”. The second major hill came at about 8 miles. I was thinking maybe this course isn’t as bad as I remember; maybe I am in better shape. Ha. Hill number two was TOUGH. I continued running, if you call the slow shuffle I was doing running, just praying for the top. I made it and knew I had some time to recover before the last big climb.
Then I had to stop and tie my shoe. Next time I will double knot them.
I got to the last major hill and made it up just fine. The finish line was getting close.
I saw Lana and she cheered me on. The guy just ahead of me looks back and says “Oh no you don’t” and he kicked it in. I really tried to catch him but I just couldn’t.
I got my medal and Lana and I headed over to see what kind of food they had.
Another disappointment. They had chili and some hard bread sticks.
We both needed to get home so we left right away. I was glad I had brought my cough drops and had 3 of them on the way home.
Here are my splits
8:38, 8:44, 8:59, 9:10 (hill #1), 8:50, 8:59, 8:59, 9:28 (hill #2), 9:07, 9:03, 8:50, 8:52, 9:10 (hill #3), and 1:28.
Offical time 1:58:18 8th in age group and 127 overall (I wasn't last)

8 comments:

Phil said...

You broke 2 hours even though you were sick! Not too shabby. I'd have stayed in bed.

Looks like you took off a little fast in retrospect; but, that's what makes the 1/2 such a tough race. Get a little ahead of yourself and pay for it in the end. Happens to me all the time. The good news is you beat your time from last year even with having to stop and tie your shoe.

Great report Michele and great race. Congratulations.

Tammy said...

Nice Job!! That's about my goal for the Kirkland Half next May... and it has more than 3 hills. What am I thinking??

way to go!

Trisaratops said...

Wow! And sick, too? Great job on the sub-2...now REST UP, sicky! :) Lots of sleep and C!

Phil said...

8th in your age group is great (I wish I could do as well). I'd fall off my chair if a 1:58:`8 was anywhere near last place.

You did great Michele.

Rae said...

Great job! Were the meals sucky keychains on a ribbon???

Lots of people are talking about the chili on the local boards! You either loved it or hated it. There's NO WAY I could eat chili after a half!!

Congrats!!!

LoneStarCrank said...

Sub 2 and sick...that rocks. Great to hear the hills didn't look or feel as big as they did last year. Validation for months of hard work!

jen said...

Whoo hoo!! Congrats on getting your sub-2 goal with time to spare and kicking those hills' butts. :) Feel better soon!

Lance Notstrong said...

What is it with all you badass women running sick and still kicking ass? YOU are hardcore Michele :-)