Wednesday, November 01, 2006

10 Miles BEFORE Work

Today the plan called for 10 miles at planned marathon pace. In order to get 10 miles in before work, I had to get up at 4:20.
As I said before, I was very nervous about this run. I haven’t had much luck on very many of my interval or tempo runs using a program where pace is suppose to be very important. So, I REALLY wanted to prove to myself that I could hold marathon pace for 10 miles.
Phil’s advice yesterday was to start slow. So at 4:30am, I started my run nice and easy. I ran the first 3 miles in 9:19, 9:14, and 9:16. I was feeling good but starting to worry that I would NOT be able to make up those lost minutes and average my marathon pace. The next two miles I ran in 8:53 and 8:44. Now my average pace was closer to my goal pace, so I fell back to 9:10 for the next mile. I was still feeling good and ran the next three miles in 8:58, 9:10 and 8:59. The last mile was a final loop around my neighborhood. I tried to push myself but my pace was all over the place. I would run fast for a little bit only to find myself slowing down. I ended up with an 8:39 final mile. So that is a total of 10 miles in 1:30:23, average pace 9:03. I did it and with time to spare!!! Whew that is a load off. It still doesn’t mean that I can manage a 4 hour marathon but it is a step in the right direction.

12 comments:

Janet Edwards said...

Way to go....with the adrenaline on race day, you should have no problem and if nothing else...perhpas they have a pace group you can keep you eye on.

Anonymous said...

Great job..... now for the marathon you just need someone to talk to you the whole time and keep you distracted...like I did in Franklin.

Michele said...

David,
Are you applying for the job???
I would LOVE to have someone to talk to for 26.2 miles but no one has taken me up on the offer.

MNFirefly said...

Awesome pace, Michelle. You will rock come marathon day.

Phil said...

Congratulations Michele. I knew you had it in you. Now that you've proven you can run MP for 10 miles (no small feat), the next time you can work at leveling out the pace a little and give yourself even more confidence. You did a great job starting out slow, getting the legs good and warm and then pushing the pace down. An amazing 10 miler; especially at 4:30 in the morning. I hope I can do as well tomorrow.

Thomas said...

Congratulations, that's an important milestone. As Phil said, next time try to run more evenly. You will notice that this will actually make it easier.

I find that an easy 2-mile warm up before the actual marathon pace segments makes it much easier to run at marathon pace.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Great job!!

LeahC said...

nice job! I have a real problem getting up early to run. Especially in the winter when it gets so chilly. Awesome job on getting your goal pace.

LoneStarCrank said...

Big props on the run. You are amazing for kicking out 10 miles BEFORE work....and at MP with time to spare.

Lance Notstrong said...

That sounds like a kick ass 10 miles to me!!!

jen said...

Whoo hoo!!! Awesome job Michele. You're going to be my inspiration for tomorrow's 10 mile Goal Pace run.

Congrats! :)

Rae said...

Great job with the run! You won't have any problems in Memphis!