Saturday, November 18, 2006

Where's the Love???

Today was sunny and about 60 so I set out for a bike ride at about 2:30. The goal was to ride 20 miles in 1:15 or less. I haven’t spent much time in the saddle lately and the rides I have done have been longer, slower rides. I needed a faster ride.
I tried to focus on cadence but I was struggling. I just couldn’t seem to get my speed up and keep it up. I felt like I was riding into the wind but I looked around and it didn’t look windy. I was miserable. Why do I ride? I am not enjoying this. I am cold. The wind hurts my ears. I hate those stupid dogs that insist on chasing me. Why do people want to run me over? And lots more negative thoughts. I made a few turns and then all of a sudden I discovered I had been riding into a strong wind and now it was at my back. I was keeping a great pace, the wind hurt a lot less. This wasn’t so bad after all.
A few more turns and I was riding into the wind again. I decided I am asking for a trainer for Christmas. I can’t do this all winter. Call me a wimp but I hate riding in the cold. I had to finish the ride into the wind and was so glad to be home. 20 miles in 1:15:12. Darn it, missed goal!!

Now, I need some help…I know nothing about trainers. What do I need? Any suggestions?

Non-training story. Yesterday I was trying to watch a movie in my room and the kids were watching TV in the den. A commercial came on for a hair beader that my 6 year old daughter has been trying to tell me about that she wants for Christmas. Since I had told them to leave me alone, she used the TiVo to pause live TV (I don’t even know how to do this), got my son to write down the web address, and then she went to the computer and went to the website for the hair beader. She came in and told me “I found that hair beader I was telling you about, it is on the computer”. I went out to the den and sure enough, there on the computer was the beader. Last night I told my husband the story. He didn’t know that we could pause the TV. He had her show him how to do it. If you have remote problems, ask the 6 year old!

5 comments:

SRR said...

Kids are brilliant with that shit. Thank god for them when I am babysitting to clue me in! What a smart kid you have! And crafty!

Brooke said...

Pausing live TV has got to be the greatest invention EVER!!

Lance Notstrong said...

We didn't even have a remote control when I was six much less a computer!!!

I have a Cyclops Mag Trainer. Works great and cheaper than the fluid trainers.
http://bikemart.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=1345

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

That is SO funny about Kasey. Do we have another engineer in the works?

Also - congrats on your 13 mile run at that smokin' pace...You are gonna nail 4 hours easily.

I meant to call you back about the ride, but Saturday was one big blur to me. I had more things to do than there were hours in the day. My trainer is Cyclops Fluid 2. I like it alright, but I have nothing to compare it to.

LeahC said...

oh that is too funny! nice job to the 6 year old :-)