Friday, November 10, 2006

A New Running Partner

Last night my husband asked me how far I was going to run this morning and when I told him 20 miles he just looked at me and asked “And when was the last time you ran?” I said Saturday. He just gave me a knowing look. I could tell he expected me to fail.
The girl at work suggested yesterday that I try MucinexD for my cough. Turns out Teacherwoman also suggested it but I just got that comment. Anyway, I stopped by the drug store and picked up a box and took 2 tablets. The stuff really does work but I don’t recommend taking it before attempting a 20 mile run.
I went out at 8:30 to get started on my run only to discover that the battery in my Garmin was low. Luckily I bought my husband a Garmin for his birthday and I had noticed that it was plugged in and fully charged. I grabbed his Garmin and headed back out.
It was a beautiful day, sunny and mid 60’s. I was feeling great. Today’s goal was planned marathon pace plus 30 seconds. So based on my 4 hour goal that makes my target pace 9:39. Since I ran with Ronnie’s Garmin, I don’t have mile splits; he doesn’t have his programmed to lap on mile like I do.
After 4 miles, the battery died in my MPS player. Great no music for 16 more miles. Then at about 4.5 miles I noticed I had a new running partner. A little beagle had joined me. I tried to get him to go home but he just kept running right along with me. I figured he would run a little ways down the road then run out of stream but this little guy stayed with me for the next 11 miles. We had made it back around to the general area where I had picked him up and he dropped off there. He kept me very entertained and detracted. I had to keep him from getting run over several times; he wasn’t the smartest dog I have ever met.
Just about the time I lost my running partner I also started suffering from taking an antihistamine right before running. I swear I could feel my tongue swelling. I was very low on fluids and knew I needed some water. At 18 miles I was passing my house. I toyed with the idea of calling it quits. I knew that all my blogger friends would support me. After all, I had been sick all week. But I knew this was it, my last 20 miler for this training program. Only 3 weeks until my marathon, taper is coming. I HAD to finish. I grabbed a water out of the fridge in the garage and drank all 10 ounces while walking down my driveway. Then I shuffled out the last 2 miles.
Those last 4 miles were HELL and really killed my overall pace (the water stop sure didn’t help the pace either), but I still managed to squeak in just under target. 20 miles in 3:12:18, 9:37 pace.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Job! Let the taper begin!

LoneStarCrank said...

That is a great, great run after being under the weather (and still presumably so). Smooth sailing now! 3 weeks till you can put all of those tough workouts to work!

MNFirefly said...

Awesome pace!!

Phil said...

9:37/mi with a water stop ... let's for fun assume you stopped for 2 minutes and further assume that your shuffle along pace for the last 4 miles was closer to 10:00/mi. That would have you running the first 16 miles in 2:30:00 (roughly). That's an average pace of 9:22/mi; well within your goal pace. Congratulations, I think that's your fastest pace for anything over 10 miles. Imagine how well you would have done if this wasn't your first run after recovering from your illness.

Your doing great Michele

Rae said...

Great job!! I can't believe Memphis is only 3 weeks away!

I think you need to take the beagle along more often!!

Lance Notstrong said...

That dog ran 11 miles? That's a long way for a little dog!!! I bet his tongue was hanging out. After 20 miles, my tongue would be hanging out!!! :-)

Brooke said...

Hey--at least you did it. I'm proud.

SRR said...

Hey yeah you!!! That's fantastic!

jen said...

Congrats Michele on your last long run!! I did my 20 this weekend too, and now we're both tapering. Sounds like you could use a bit of a break to get completely better.

I love the beagle story. How funny!!

Take care!

:) said...

wow...you rocked it even though you have been sick! nice job...