Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Disappointing

I have been choppin’ at the bit, wanting to run but following my training plan. So today my plan finally had a run. I got up at 5:45 and was out the door at 5:55. It was a little colder then I had expected but it didn’t take long to be comfortable, well a little cold. I wish I had covered my ears. Anyway, the 10 minute warm up was slow and I had a hard time picking up the pace for the 5 x 6 minute tempo efforts. The 2 minute recovery jogs were more of a shuffle and by the 10 minute cool down, I was glad to be done. I am very disappointed in my run today, especially since I signed up for the Tom King half marathon last night, it is March 17th and now I am not so sure I am ready.

10 comments:

Kate said...

that run doesn't sound like a fin workout- 6 minute tempo intervals? yuck!

i'm sure it was just an off day. You'll be in fine shape for the half, and even if you're not in PR territory, you are training for a half IM. No point in being able to run in speedy half-M if you haven't got the bike and swim down too.

Anonymous said...

Maybe we can keep each other company....I'm still iffy for the Tom King.

Wes said...

I wouldn't be concerned with a single run. You seem to be coming off the winter months in excellent condition, and while you might not PR the half, you will certainly enjoy it. I agree with Kate. Your A-race is the Half Ironman. Stay on target!!!

TriSonq said...

kate's right. You're training for the half-IM. Use the Tom King as a training run, not PR. That's what I'll be doing. Although I'm sure my competitive side will try to kick it in somewhere at the five mile post. Then be disappointed by not getting it because it IS supposed to be a training run.

You can always just draft off of me. Ha!

TriSonq said...

PS - Remember. The Tom King is VERY flat.

Joe said...

You have to have a bad run every now and then. That's what makes the good runs so enjoyable. Good luck in the half.

jen said...

Great job getting out there! I agree, it was just an off day, and doesn't mean a thing for your race. You've had some strong runs in the past few weeks and a ton of killer bike and swim workouts! You are in great shape, don't let one run get you down. :)

Laurie said...

I have been stressing over Tom King, too...So today I went out and ran 13 miles like an idiot just to say I have done it. I am feeling like DIRT now. (I have been slacking on my long runs and thought I would play "catch-up" all at once..today.)

TriShannon said...

I'm sure it was just on of those bad run, "off" days. Everyone has them... I am actually due for one. I think we need them to keep perspective of the good days.

MNFirefly said...

Nice job on the run, Michelle. Very nice pace!!