Saturday, July 08, 2006

Run Bike Swim

Manchester Star Triathlon Race Report.
A reverse sprint distance.
I was not crazy about running first and swimming last but I did this race because it was our first local tri. For once I did not have to get up at 4 in the morning and drive an hour to get to the race. This morning I got up at 5:40 and got the kids up at 6 to go with me. We got to the Rec Center at 6:30. I had picked up my race packet last night so I just had to set up my transition area and get body marked. The kids were wild so I handed them off to the child care at 7:00. The race started on time at 7:30.

The Run -5k
I started out slow for fear of not having anything left for the rest of the race. Problem is I never picked it up. I don’t know what my run time was but think it was in the 25-26 minute range. Not a good 5k.

T1
I made it into T1. I made SURE I got my helmet buckled this time. I got my shoes changed and grabbed my bike.

The Bike – 15.6 miles
Ray had told me before the race the bike course was mostly up hill until you crossed over the interstate. The first part of the course is the only part that I haven’t ridden so I was glad for the warning. I felt great. I was passing people and making up time that I lost on the run. I got to the part of the course that I ride some and was preparing for the turn and hill when my chain fell off. I know it didn’t take that long to get it back on but it felt like forever. It was like I just couldn’t think. Finally I calmed down and got it back on but not before I got passed by a bunch of people. I managed to catch most of them. The next big challenge was the hill by Cracker Barrel toward the end of the course. It is short but very steep. There was a guy in front of me that was weaving back and forth trying to get up and I had a guy on my left moving in to pass. I had no where to go. Finally the weaver got off his bike and moved over to walk up the hill. I made it to the top and then on to transition.

T2
I got my bike racked and shoes and helmet off, grabbed my swim cap and goggles, and headed for the pool.

Swim – 200 yards
I jumped into the pool and started swimming. Half a lap into the swim I was feeling a drag and realized that I forgot to zip my shirt. I stopped at the wall and zipped it. By the second lap my goggles were filling up with water. I continued on trying to breathe every third stroke and ingnore the water in my goggles. I finished the swim and hauled myself up and out of the pool to the finish line.

My official time was 1:21:15. I don’t have any splits and don’t know that there will be any since we didn’t have timing chips.

I got first (and last) place in my age group and got some nice hardware. My daughter informed me on the way to the race that I “had to get first place this time” since I had gotten 3rd and 2nd at my last two races. Glad I was able to make her happy! I did finish 4th overall female and there were more then 4 females in the race!!

The race was very well organized and the course was great. Thanks to Leslie for putting on such a great race. I will do it again next year.

I don’t have any pictures since Lana’s Dad didn’t make it out for the race.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good race. Congrats... I am impressed by anyone who tackles a tri! Good Job.

Joe said...

Forget about the chain falling off, the goggles filling with water and the shirt dragging in the water...you got first place! Way to go!

Brooke said...

Congrats on your first place finish!!

Childcare at a race is an awesome perk. I wish some of our local races offered it.

SRR said...

Great job!!!

Yeah...I've never heard of childcare at a racing event. What a neat idea though. Were they able to watch you?

teacherwoman said...

Way to go on your race! I hope to try some tri's down the future...just not yet!

JamieW said...

Sounds like a really interesting race. I can imagine that if this was a week earlier that swim at the end would have felt SO NICE. I might have to try this next year.

Janet Edwards said...

Way to go despite all the random things that were thrown at ya! Always amazing that you can have so much thrown at ya and still come out ahead if you keep it together!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Great job, Michele...and tough luck on your chain. Splits are on the website, by the way.

E-Speed said...

great job! I can't imagine doing a reverse tri, sounds wild!

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»