Thursday, October 05, 2006

13 Miles IS a Long Run

First off, here are my heart rates for my 800s yesterday. 165, 166, 165,168, 167, and 168. I will try to get that hill workout in soon so that I can see just how bad I suck!

Now for today. Thursday is my scheduled rest day but Ronnie is going out of town for golf tomorrow and Saturday so it was long run this afternoon or never. Tracy had called me this afternoon and wanted to run with me for part of my run. She wanted to run during cheerleading practice and I wanted her to run the last 6 miles with me instead of the first 6. So I told her I would start a little before 5 and for her to call me as she was heading to the Rec Center so that I could head back that way. On my way home from work at 3:00 it was 87 degrees but looked like rain. By 4:30 it was sprinkling and the temps were falling. I headed to the Rec Center and on my run. Three and a half miles into my run it started to rain. I ran in the pouring rain for the next three and half miles. Tracy called. She was not running in the rain. I told her it was stopping, that I NEEDED her but she refused and told me I should be running inside. I headed to the Rec Center anyway. She was not outside so I kept going. I had run 7.5 miles by that point. It was no longer raining and I was cursing Tracy. I ran to Old Stone Fort Park and back. I still had 2 miles to go. They were the longest two miles. I ran the greenway and back through town. I even had to do “victory laps” in the parking lot just to get to 13. I will say that I did not take the easy way out tonight and I included a lot of hills in this run. But I did not hit target pace overall. How long can I use the “I had an accident” excuse???
The splits look like this:
9:25, 9:18, 9:26, 9:17, 9:15, 9:18, 9:17, 9:25, 9:40, 9:54, 9:36, 10:04, 10:14
Avg heart rate: 167
Bring on the rain!!!!

6 comments:

Phil said...

I think you may need to find a few new friends :) I'm sure Lana would come out and run with you in the rain. You are certainly driven to succeed. Running 13 miles in the rain would be a very long way for anyone. You really rock.

Your avg HR was 167? This was your HR was your 800s yesterday. What was the range? I would have expected to see you more in the 135 range based on your 800m intervals. Did it drift up over the miles or start low and peek way over 167? Once you get your HRmax worked out we can get the rest of this sorted out.

In the mean time, I'm really impressed with your splits in the middle of the this run.

Anonymous said...

Distance trumps pace and rain gets you extra points...great job on sticking with it!

Papa Louie said...

Great job on your run! Where was your running buddy, Lana?

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Good job, Michele! J.T. said he saw you out near Melrose. I was driving home from work in that rain and wondered if you were in it. I took the easy way out for my bike ride and did a DVD with the trainer!!

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

OH - And thanks for the Happy Birthday wish and for the BLACK balloons and the giant cookie cake...mmmmmmmm. You are too nice.

Rae said...

Great job on the LR!

Rain?? We didn't have any of that the past few days, but it was pretty windy a couple of days ago before it got cooler. Today was PERFECT!

Are you guys coming for Oktoberfest next weekend?