Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Another Bad Tempo Run

I am starting to think at a 4 hour marathon is just dreaming, at least for this December anyway.

This morning I woke up 7 minutes BEFORE my alarm went off because I had to pee. I refused to get out of bed and tried to force myself asleep for those last few precious minutes. The alarm went off at 4:45 and I drug my butt out of bed. Six and a half hours of sleep just isn’t enough for me.

I got dressed and headed outside for my tempo run. The plan called for 2 miles easy, 3 at ST and 1 easy. When I got outside it was raining. Ugg! I thought about going to the Rec Center but didn’t feel like driving, plus I had on long pants and long sleeves (which turned out to be too much even outside). It was actually barely sprinkling so I said heck with it and started the run.

I knew last night in toning class when she had us doing all those squats I was going to pay for it today. I noticed right off that my legs felt like lead. The two miles easy were done in 10:23 and 10:25, how is that for easy????

Then it was time to pick up the pace. My three tempo miles were done in 9:02, 9:07, and 9:15. The only thing tempo about that is that they were faster then the warm up. :)

The last easy mile was done in 11:08. By the end I was wondering how slow my legs could move before I would stop forward motion.

It was an ugly, painful run this morning but it is over. Tomorrow I rest then it is 18 miles on Friday. Looks like the 18 miler is going to be done solo, boo!

By the way, my crash wounds are healing up nicely, thanks for asking. I think I could even swim now, if only I had the time.

10 comments:

Lance Notstrong said...

I hate it when I'm sleeping comfortably and I have to get up to pee. I've considered those "adult diapers" LOL!!! :-)

Brooke said...

Do I see standing up to pee in your future from all those lunges?? I hate/love that feeling.

MNFirefly said...

I hate waking early too and then at a panic because you think you overslept. UGH! I might be doing my 15 miles solo to. :( You are not alone.

Dubs said...

ok - how funny is it that the exact same thing happened to me. I rushed to the bathroom and jumped back in bed for a couple more minutes. About 7 or 8 minutes for me, so I got 5 more.

Glad to hear about your wounds.

Good luck on the marathon - don't give up on 4 hours yet.. hang in there!

Shane (mississip) said...

wow! It seems like your training plan is a lot like mine. I had a similar experience this morning. Thank goodness I was just tired from working long hours because lunges would absolutely KILL me!!!

Phil said...

Michele .. you're cross-training/rest days aren't suppose to over tax your legs. I know that you already know this. Little wonder you weren't up to you're peak performance. Get a rest day or low intensity workout the day before your next tempo ran and watch your performance soar.

teacherwoman said...

Geez...4:45? that is crazy. But, I guess in the world of Training... You do what you gotta do! I hate those mornings when you are awoken by the gosh darn bladder... Hope the rest of you day went well!

Rice said...

lol.. I loved that part in the Simpsons when he was laying in bed.. "oh no I have to pee..think, think thing,..." I'm not sure, do we think we can will it away when we're sleeping..

Great work getting out there and doing the run even if you didn't feel up to it..

Cheers.

Rice

jen said...

Great job getting that run in on a rainy morning (if you can even call 4:45 "morning"). Don't get down on yourself for a bad tempo run, looks like you had a great speed workout a few days ago! Good luck on your long run, I"m doing 18 myself this weekend. :)

Marathon Maritza said...

Hey Michele!

Don't let go of the 4-hour goal...where there's a will, there's a way! You have been doing a LOT of working out, especially between toning classes and the long rides, so don't knock yourself out for your running times.

When is your race in Dec? Mine is the first Sunday...eeeek!