Monday, October 30, 2006

Weekend Off & Monday Speed (or lack of)

Saturday was the final soccer game and football game. Yippee!!!!!!

As soon as the football game ended, we piled into the van and headed to Chattanooga.

We went to the Aquarium. First we did the Ocean Adventure then the River Adventure.
After we looked at all the fish, we checked into the Chattanooga Choo Choo. All the train car rooms were booked so we had to settle for a standard room. Once we unloaded the van, we had a wonderful dinner at Sticky Fingers, watched the UT game, and hit the hay.

Sunday morning we got up and went to Crackle Barrel for breakfast then to Rock City
and the Corn Maze. We had great weather and even though I can’t count it as cross training, we did spend most of the day walking. The corn maze took us almost 2 hours!!!



So after two days off, I got up this morning at 4:45 for my speed work. The plan called for 10-20 minute warm up, 3 x 1600 (400 m RI), 10 minute cool-down. Again, I just did it around my neighborhood.
Warm up 1.87 miles in 19:26 (10:25 pace)
1600 8:21
400 RI 5:26
1600 8:08
400 RI 5:18
1600 8:14
400 RI 4:25
Cool down 1.17 miles in 12:23 (10:35 pace)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great weekend! Good job on the speed work!

Phil said...

Michele .. what are you targeting for your 1600's? You've run a 52 min 10K in September so I'd expect you to be able to run 1600m at somewhere closer to 8:05/mi. Your second interval was very near spot on, so you know you can run this fast.

Are you treating these intervals as a special event? One trick I use to get focused on my intervals is to actually stop after warm up. I take a drink of water, shake out my legs, toe the line, etc, etc before I take off on the first interval. As stupid as this looks, it get's me really focused on running the first interval at a much faster rate than the warm up. Then for the first 100 meters I do nothing but think about my turn over rate. I just focus on running faster. Sounds stupid, but it works for me.

Of course I have days where I feel like crap and can barely get my legs moving; but this doesn't look like your problem. All in all, you had a good morning. Next time will be better and more consistent from interval to interval

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Looks like you guys had fun!! Good job on the speedwork!

E-Speed said...

awwe! I love the pics!