Monday, October 16, 2006

Am I a Bear???

I have been acting like a bear getting ready to go into hibernation. I have been eating non-stop, even when I am not hungry, and packing on the pounds. And I am so tired, I just want to crawl into bed and sleep until it is spring.

But alas I don’t get to sleep the winter away, heck I don’t even get to sleep all night. This morning my lovely daughter woke me up at 4:00 to get her a drink of water. Of course then I had to pee while I was up. I finally got back in bed and tried to force myself asleep but couldn’t. The alarm went off at 4:45 and it was time for speed work.

The schedule had longer distance with walking rest intervals, so I had just programmed my Garmin with the workout.

I checked the temperature before heading out the door (51) and knew I had on too many clothes. I ended up shedding the fleece vest after the warm up.

warm up- 1.87 miles in 21:25
1 mile in 8:30
400m rest interval for 4:45
2 miles in 18:46
800m rest interval 9:15
800m in 4:20
400m rest interval 4:25
800m 4:02
400m rest interval 4:36
cool down of 1.09 miles in 13:04
So a grand total of 8.21 miles in 1:33:12, that’s an 11:21 pace.

I had a really hard time pushing myself this morning especially on the longer distances. I would totally get distracted and fall back to a slow pace. The weather was crappy too. It spit rain on me a few times and the wind was blowing pretty hard. It has turned out to be a crappy day. The positive from that is football practice was canceled. So while Casey was at gymnastics, Bryce and I went to Wal-mart. We got some food and I actually cooked tonight. I think this was our first meal at home in 2 months. Which leads back to my first point, I have been eating junk and a lot of it. My workouts are suffering and it is time to make a change. Garbage in, garbage out.

6 comments:

Phil said...

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. Sorry things didn't go as well as you planned. Your 8:08/mi pace on the second 800m wasn't bad nor was your initial mile run.

Sounds like you're on the right track with better food and a little sleep. Best of luck tomorrow. I hope you get to sleep through the night.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there... some days are like that!

jen said...

It's good that you realize you're in a bit of an eating rut, that's the first step to getting out of it. Maybe if you don't get too ambitious it will help, like plan on cooking dinner 2x this week or something. And good job on your workout, you did great! It says a lot about you that you got out of bed and ran today. :) You are awesome!

MNFirefly said...

If the sun would just peek out, it would be MORE bearable....sorry!

Dubs said...

Good job on pushing yourself. Pushing yourself when you really are having a hard time is like bonus points - somehow your body will give you extra credit down the road.

The food thing - any chance you are missing something in your nutrition that your body is craving?

Marathon Maritza said...

Sorry it was crappy weather for running, but look how nicely you ended the day by cooking? :)

I feel you on the eating crap. I have been in the same boat for a while and for the same reasons...I haven't cooked real meals at home until this week. Funny how that equals eating crap, huh?

Keep it up. We both know we feel better eating good, wholesome, home-cooked meals so let's make the effort, shall we? Nice speedwork, by the way!