Monday, October 02, 2006

Recovery Tempo

Fall break, Ronnie’s golf trip, and the bike crash are all playing havoc with my training schedule this week. I knew that I was NOT getting up at 5:00am this morning for 6x 800s. I thought I would see how I was feeling after work and hauling the kids to gymnastics and football. At 7:30 this evening I was still not up for 800s but FIRST allows you to do the three key workouts in any order. So I thought I would try the tempo run instead. On tap, 1 mile easy, 6 miles at LT (8:38), 1 mile easy.
Getting dressed proved to be as much of a challenge, if not more, then the actual run. I had gotten cold at football practice so I over dressed for the run. Long sleeves were defiantly overkill. David, do you have clothing chart ready yet?
I decided before I left the house that I was not going to beat myself up over the pace. For the first tenth of a mile I really questioned if I was ready for this run, but then I found my groove. Warm up mile 9:55. The 6 tempo miles were done in 8:37, 8:43, 8:49, 8:45, 9:03, and 8:52. The cool down was a slow and painful 10:50. I didn’t hit pace but it felt good to run.
When I got home, Ronnie redressed my shoulder and elbow. I get my eyebrows waxed every 8 weeks, but that is NOTHING compared to have wounds “debreeded”. It took a lot of fancy talking on Ronnie’s part to let him redress them. He assures me that the first time is the worst. We will see how truthful he is in a few days.

2 comments:

Phil said...

Now you're out tempo running two days after a fierce crash on your bike. I'll never complain about my aches and pains again. Nice tempo run and good negative split after mile 5. You really dug in and increased your pace.

Anonymous said...

You're one tough lady....great job on the run. The warmer weather this week has kind of derailed my "dress the runner" project.