Friday, October 27, 2006

Does it Always Rain This Much in October?

This morning I woke up to rain. I took the kids to school and found out not only was it raining it was also windy. I weighed my options:
1. run in the rain
2. run on the 1/12 mile track inside at the Rec Center, that’s 240 laps
3. run on the treadmill at the Rec Center
4. some combination of 2 and 3
5. sit on the couch and eat bon-bons
I got on my-cast.com 52 degrees, 10 mph winds, heavy rains with no end in sight. Option 5 was looking good! But I changed into shorts and decided this run would be done indoors. I looked out the window one more time and the rain had slowed to a drizzle. I changed back into my tights and headed outside. I really HATE running inside.
The first 3 miles continued to be a slow drizzle, then it picked up to a steady rain. The rain wasn’t so bad; it was the wind that made the run miserable. I did my 6 mile loop 3 times then the 2 mile loop of my neighborhood.
The first 6 miles went ok
9:30, 9:30, 9:40, 9:42, 9:25, and 9:25
I grabbed a Hammer Gel from my mailbox as I ran past. The next 6 went great
9:24, 9:16, 9:26, 9:19, 9:32, and 9:28
I grabbed another Hammer Gel and continued. By this point my shoes and socks were soaked and starting to hurt my feet. My clothes felt like they weighed 10 pounds. The wind was picking up even more and almost blew my cap off my head several times. The next 6 miles didn’t go so good even though I kept telling myself that it was the last loop.
9:44, 9:44, 9:44, 10:04, 10:15 and 10:12.
I stopped at my mail box to refill one of my Gatorade bottles. Then I was off on my last loop of my neighborhood. The bottom fell out and the wind blew even harder. I tucked my head and just pushed forward. I knew I was going slowly but the wind just wouldn’t cut me any slack. The last two miles, including the refueling stop, were done in 11:01 and 11:05.
I took and ice bath and hot shower. Then I got dressed and went to the school for the kids Halloween parties and parade.
The target for today’s run was marathon pace + (30-45 seconds). My average pace was 9:46. I should be happy but for some reason I am letting those last 8 miles really get to me, especially the last two.

8 comments:

jen said...

Wow! Great pace on that long run!! You were actually really consistant (consistantly fast that is!) until those last two miles. I wouldn't sweat it, you held onto that goal pace for a long time. I am so impressed that you go out there in that weather. Amazing. Have a great weekend!!

Phil said...

You continue to amaze me Michele. I still haven't been able to make it up to 20 miles and you do it so well rain or shine or wind. Congratulations. Have a great weekend.

Trisaratops said...

That's what I call KICKIN' SOME BOOTY.

Way to get out there and run strong! That's a great pace--and with the rain, too? Geez!

Anonymous said...

Repeat after me....Hardcore! If you had any doubts earlier in the week, today "washed" them away.

Brooke said...

I'm impressed. I would've went with the bonbon's.

Marathon Maritza said...

This is awesome, Michele...Don't give yourself such a hard time. You were running in the POURING RAIN, for crying out loud!

You rock!

Rae said...

Ugh!! That weather that Friday was nasty. Great job!!!

Lance Notstrong said...

Definitely be happy with that run!!! The fact that you went outside is a victory. I would have ate bon-bons :-)

BTW, do they still call your kids parties "halloween parties"? I thought maybe they were called "fall festivals" or some sort of "PC" crap name.