Sunday, October 15, 2006

A Visit from Old Man Winter

Yesterday, the schedule called for cross training or rest. Since I have such a crazy week coming up and Ronnie was gone to an all day golf tournament, I went with the rest. The kids had an 11:30 soccer game that was another slaughter. After the game we went to MOAB so that I could get new bike shoes. My new shoes are TWO sizes bigger then my old ones. Granted they are a different brand but still two sizes!!! When we got home I sat out in the driveway and put my new cleats on my new shoes. My son come outside and declared himself “Old Man Winter”.


So I was not surprised this morning when I got up at 6:30 to find the ground covered with frost again. A quick check on weather.com informed me that it was 32 degrees. I decided to add a fleece shirt to my layering for my ride. I got dressed and headed out on my bike in my new helmet and shoes.


I rode to Amy’s house and because I wasn’t sure how long it would take me I was about ten minutes early. Amy came out in shorts and I gave her a once over and said “It is COLD, you are going to want pants”. She didn’t have any and said she is very hot natured anyway. I just nodded a whatever you say nod and off we went. Amy had a great route that was beautiful. I wished several times that I had brought along my camera. My favorite sight was the fog coming off the lake with a boat trolling across the smooth water. I don’t know who the crazy fools were that were out in a boat in that weather but I couldn’t say much as I rode by on my bike.

I did end up getting hot but did not regret putting on that extra layer, it sure helped in the shady parts and early on.

I rode a total of 35 miles in 2:42:41. Amy is still struggling with the fear of downhill but I can’t believe how good she is doing in the short time she has had her bike. I told her today that I won’t be surprised if she is ready to take on Music City Tri with me next year.

I LOVE my new shoes, my feet didn’t fall asleep. Amazing what happens when you get shoes that fit!! My new helmet is also very cool, but since it is the same helmet I had only a different color there isn’t much to say about it.

As more “crossing training”, I pushed mowed the fenced in part of the yard. I hope that it is for the LAST time this year. I then rode the riding lawn mower for the rest of the yard, guess there is no cross training there, just a lot of time. Next I shoveled 9 or 10 wheel barrel loads of gravel from the pile that has been sitting in the yard since they put the pool in last Oct. I hauled it to the ditch and dumped it. I didn’t make a very big dent in the pile but my back was killing me so I quit.

I am rearranging things this week. Monday will be the normal speed work day, Tuesday rest maybe yoga, Wednesday 20 miles solo, Thursday swim, Friday Tempo, and Saturday my first ever century ride. I will be going on my ride solo too and am a little nervous about it. Hope I can finish.

7 comments:

teacherwoman said...

"Old man winter." Cute pic! Nice shoes!

SRR said...

Hey! My feet have been falling asleep in my shoes too! What gives with that?

Phil said...

I gave up paying any attention to "sizes" long ago and just go with what fits. Your ride this morning sounded great. Good luck this week preparing for you first century.

Lance Notstrong said...

Cool helmet and shoes :-)

Rae said...

Love the pic! That is so cute!!

I am sure you will do GREAT on the Century! Where is it??

Brooke said...

Love the shoes. And old man winter is too cute.

LoneStarCrank said...

Nice interpretation of Old Man Winter.

Take your cam next time. We would love to live vicariously through you and your rides through fall. We don't get much of that kind of scenery down in Texas.