Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A New Level of Insanity

Today is my husband’s birthday. He hardly ever reads my blog but thought I would give him the shout out anyway. Happy Birthday, Ronnie!!!

Kim has decided to do the Franklin County Fall Finale 100 on Saturday so now I don’t have to ride alone. She did ask if it was safe to ride with me. :)

Yesterday I planned on doing some light weights or yoga but that got canceled when I got a call from the school a little before 10 telling me that my son had throw up twice, was white as a sheet, and asking for me. I quickly finished up the storm sewer calculation my boss needed for a submittal and headed to the school. I found my son curled up in a chair in the office with paper towels on his head and a trash can at his side. He had the shakes and was not looking good. I got him home and he watched TV and slept the rest of the day. At about 5:00 he told me he was hungry and wanted a peanut butter sandwich. I had been trying to get him to take some Advil so I hid it in the sandwich. I think he got one down but I got caught on the second and then he threw up two more times. I put him to bed at 7 and told Ronnie that I would be getting up at 3:30 to get my 20 mile run in before he had to go to work. After getting my daughter cleaned up and to bed, I got in bed to read. Ronnie left at 8:45 for poker and Bryce woke up again covered in sweat. I got him settled back down and asleep then tried to go to bed myself. Bryce woke up one more time after that. I heard Ronnie come in at 12:15, but I dropped right back to sleep. The alarm went off at 3:30 and I dreamed I got up. I got dresses then started picking up around the house. The alarm went off again and this time I really got up. I started running at exactly 4:00 am!!! It wasn’t raining just misty, cloudy, and dark. I ended up pretty wet by the end of the run but not soaked.
I knew that with the lack of sleep I was just logging miles and was not trying to hit the goal pace. Since it was so dark I ended up just doing loop after loop of my neighborhood and Amberwood. I did more loops of my neighborhood because there was this little poodle looking dog out in Amberwood that barked at me when I passed the first time. The second time he started barking as soon as I entered the subdivision, 0.2 miles from his house. Then he ran next to me for a tenth of a mile. He continued to bark after me for another tenth. That is about 4 minutes of barking at 4:20 in the morning, bet the neighbors just LOVE that little guy!
By 6:20 it was getting lighter out so I ventured down the road to Creekside. I ran 3 loops in there, then back to Amberwood, and finally 2 more loops of my subdivision.
I got home in time to pack a lunch for my daughter, comb her hair, and drop her off at school. I picked up Bryce’s school work and hurried home so Ronnie could get to work.
According to my Garmin I burned 3111 calories this morning. But even better news is that I lost 7 pounds. That is a lot of water weight!!! Too bad it won’t stay off.
I took my ice bath and hot shower, ate a banana, and am looking forward to a day of lounging around with my son. Who, by the way, could not understand why he was not going to school today.

Like I said I was just logging miles today but here are the numbers anyway.
20 miles at 4:00 am in 3:28:10, 10:25 pace.
Average heart rate 155, max heart rate 167
9:45, 9:47, 9:58, 10:03, 10:07, 9:55, 10:08, 10:00, 9:43, 10:09, 10:26, 10:19, 10:29, 10:35, 10:33, 11:05, 11:11, 11:23, 11:11, 11:24

13 comments:

LoneStarCrank said...

Sick kids, work, family... and you pulled off a run like that. Great dedication. Imagine the number of people who would have hit the snooze button, turned over and threw in the towel.

Nice work... strike that. GREAT JOB given the challenges you overcame.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Okay Michele, we need to talk. 3:30 a.m.? That is just wrong. That's like making 5:30 a.m. seem like midmorning. That's like the middle of the night. I'm taking you to the doctor. I'm sure I'll have Ronnie's support. haha. The only other thing I can say is Great Job-I am amazed! I don't think I'll ever get up that early for a run.

Hope Bryce gets to feeling better soon! Keep your Lysol and Clorox handy...you don't want to be throwing up while riding through Franklin County!

Anonymous said...

What dedication! Good job getting in the long run!

Lance Notstrong said...

That IS damn early!!!

jen said...

WOW Michele. I am completely in awe of you. I cannot imagine trying to train like you do with all the other responsibilities. You are so hard core!!

Excellent job on the 20 miler. Nothing like a 3 1/2 hour run to start the day. :)

Marathon Maritza said...

Crap, Michele! You seriously have ruined all the excuses I could ever create for skipping a run. Every time I start to complain now, I will think of this post and lace up my shoes and shut my mouth.

*bows down to your greatness*

You are Super-Runner-Mom!

Dubs said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Too bad about your son, I hope he is feeling better soon!

MNFirefly said...

Poor kiddo! But AWESOME job on getting the miles in. WOW!

Shane (mississip) said...

Okay. You MUST have blue underwear with a big red "S" on the front!

A sick child AND 20 miles ON A WEDNESDAY????!!!

You just don't do excuses do you?

I AM IMPRESSED!!!

Phil said...

Sorry to hear that your son is sick. On top of that, you dragged yourself out of bed and ran 20 miles! Really good mile splits. Seems like you ran a little better with the dog chasing you, perhaps you could work him into your tempo runs for additional motivation.

Have a great week and hope your son gets better very soon.

Rae said...

Wow!!! That is one EARLY morning run!!! Great job! Hope your son is feeling better soon!

Papa Louie said...

Hope your son is feeling better. Way to get your mileage in! Good job!

Kate said...

Now THAT is dedication! Congratulations! Mothers like you (and Lana and others) who manage to keep everything together and still work out are such an inspiration to me! If you can manage work and kids and marriage and training, surely I can manage just two of these?