Thursday, February 22, 2007

A-Ha Moment

Despite the face that I didn't get to bed until midnight Tuesday after spending all afternoon trying to fix our computer, I still got up Wednesday morning at 5:00 for toning class. The teacher was running late so we only got in about 50 minutes but she more then made up for those lost 10 minutes.
Then that evening, Lana and I made the drive to Nashville again for the swimming class. I had an a-ha moment. Coach Ashley has been telling me that I need to glide more and I just didn't get it. Well last night it finally happened. A-ha!!! We swam 2900 yards at class. The 9 x 100 (4 on 2:05, 2 on 2:15, 2 on 2:05 and 1 on 2:15) really kicked my butt and I thought I would drown during the side swimming. Hey, a good class.

Today I went to the rec center for my long swim.
warm up 300 swim, 300 kick (oh how a hate that boring old kick)
main 1750 yards
cool down 4 x 50
I really tried to focus on gliding, not pulling right as my hand hit the water. My stroke count was down with no effect on my time. Progress, love it.
After the swim, I realized that I forgot both my towel and my running bra. Great!!! Good thing it was much warmer here today. Sunny and about 55. I dried off with my sweat pants best that I could and pulled my long sleeve running top on over my swim suit top. It was soaked instantly. I ran the greenway and through town for 30 minutes with 30 second strides every four and a half minutes. I ran a total of 3.4 miles, 8:49 pace.
Tomorrow is a rest day and I am SO looking forward to it, last rest day that I took was February 4th!!!

8 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Nice workout!!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Hey Michele, I see your swimming is getting better well GLIDING along-lol awesome!!

Take care,

Bob

Phil said...

You should leave your running-bra and towel behind more often. 8:49 is a great pace. And congratulations on your improved swiming style. That's really going help on your next tri.

LoneStarCrank said...

It's always great when things come together... I long for the days of gliding instead of arse barge sinking.

Lance Notstrong said...

I'm having a tough time with the "glide" too. Make sure you get somemore rest days :-)

jen said...

Nice improvisation on the bra issue! Great run too.

As I read more about swimming, I'm starting to understand more of your swimming posts. :D And I continue to be extrememly impressed. Great job!!!

teacherwoman said...

I couldn't imagine getting up at 5am for a workout only after getting 5 hours of sleep! Dedication!

On a side-note: I am currently looking for teaching jobs within the southeast region... What are you thoughts on TN?

TriShannon said...

Wow... that is a long time without a rest day... enjoy!

Don't you love it when something finally clicks? My coach has me working on rotating, which in turn forces me to glide more. I thought surely I was over-rotating, but before I knew it I had dropped my stroke count by 3. Must be something to that gliding thing. :)