Saturday, February 17, 2007

Running in the Snow

Figured I better use that title while I can because you won’t see it often from me.

Thursday morning I dropped the kids off at school and went to the Rec Center. It was snowing (actually just flurries) with a temp of 19 and a wind chill of 9. The schedule called for a short 30 minute run with strides every 5 minutes. Since it was a short run I decided to brave the snow and cold and run the greenway. The snow kept blowing in my eyes and was very annoying. I don’t know how you people up north stand running in the snow all winter. I ran 3.22 miles in 30 minutes.

After the run, I went inside and changed into my swimsuit. The water felt really warm after the bitter cold of outside. I swam 4 x 300 (300 easy, 300 kick, 300 easy, 300 pull) in 29:04. That slow kick really kills my time.

Friday I waited until 1:00 to do my ride. The schedule called for 60 minutes mixture of big ring and small. I decided to do the Spinervals No Slackers Allowed DVD then an additional 15 minutes on big and small to get the whole hour in. That was the first time I did that DVD, I liked it.

Today the schedule said “swim: 1000 time trail. Do a short warm up then record TT time.” The pool doesn’t open until noon on Saturdays so I was there as soon as they opened. I did a 200 yard warm up, took a short rest, and then stated my 1000 yards. The 1000 took 18:46. Total swim time for all 1200 yards was 22:37, rest time not included.

The trip to the Gulf Coast Tri has turned into a girl’s trip. I am the only one of the 6 of us going that is doing the race. I canceled my hotel room today and booked a condo.

It is snowing again. I hope it gets it all out of the system today. I have a 60 minute run on tap tomorrow and don’t want to run in the snow again.

3 comments:

MNFirefly said...

WOW! You really pulled a huge workout yesterday...and part of it in the snow. Great job!

Dubs said...

Wow - snow & swimming in the same day. That is pretty unusual.

DV said...

nice tt time! i'm ready for the cold to go away. i want my 60 degrees back!