Friday, August 03, 2007

Back to School and Big News

Yesterday, I didn’t workout. It was the last day of summer vacation so I spent it with my kids. I took them down to Lake Winnie in Chattanooga and we had a blast. My son has never been big on rides but he rode all the ones that Casey was tall enough for, which included one that even made my heart drop.

On the way home from Chattanooga, I got a crazy text message from Lana.
She wants us to do Ironman Florida ’08.
Now this is the race I wanted to do but was planning on ’09 or ’10 because I figured it would take me that long to convince her. I was excited and the wheels started to turn.

Then last night I couldn’t sleep. I kept worrying about getting the kids off to school. You would have thought I was going back to school.

I got up at 5:30 and went to the pool to get a short easy swim in. I did 2 x 600, and am still as slow as ever. I didn’t want to push too hard, the Staggerwing duathlon is tomorrow. I am not really ready. Too late now, I am just going to give it my best shot.

After the swim, I rushed home and got my kids off to school. I am not ready for this. I hate to see the end of summer vacation. I have heard horror stories about 3rd grade and the amount of homework. I know what to expect from 2nd grade and it is no picnic either.

When I got to work, I saw Lana’s post. I was shocked, she is really serious. I am not make travel plans yet but…

10 comments:

Lance Notstrong said...

That's a huge step!!! You could do it though!!! I have distant dreams of Ironman.....VERY distant. So far away I don't even dare speak of it out load.

MNFirefly said...

Wow, Michele!

As for the end of summer vacation, I have heard of parent dancing at those moments. It's refreshing to see the other side of it.

Marathon Maritza said...

Okay, I'm not getting excited just yet but...........EEEKKKKKK!!!

Go Michele!

Brooke said...

You can totally do it. I hope to be an Ironman someday, but first I have to get over my fear of open water swimming.

teacherwoman said...

Kids are back to school already? How crazy!

Sounds like you are going to be a training machine here soon! Awesome!

jen said...

OMG Michele. I have goosebumps just reading that. Ironman!!!! Gah!!

:) :) :)

Trisaratops said...

GAH!

You two are making me wish I had the funds available to do '08!!!

:)

I think you BOTH have proven you are ready for that race. The question is are you ready for the training load, and that only you guys can answer.

I hope you choose YES though! I would love to follow your journeys.

Kate said...

Wow! Big commitment, but agree with everyone else here that you guys are so ready for it!

Phil said...

An Ironman in '08 ... now that would be a RACE. With the kids back in school, you'll have plenty of time to train :)

Tri-Dummy said...

This is a no brainer. DO IT. You have a training partner...Lana. You two will tear it up.