Monday, August 06, 2007

Road to Rocket City-Week 1, Day 1

Saturday, while at the race, I noticed how dirty my chain was. So yesterday I got my bike out to clean the chain and discovered I had a flat rear tire. I changed it, fairly quickly. Then while inflating it, it popped. I checked both tubes and discovered that they both had a little round hole in the same spot. So then I checked my rim. Sure enough there was a hole in the rim tape. A little duct tape and I put in my second tube, inflated, and was back in business. I noticed during this whole process that my tire had a little dry rot. So I got on line and ordered rim tape, tires and tubes. Last night I noticed my tire was flat again. So today I went through the whole process again and found another hole in the rim tape. I covered it with electrical tape and seem to be back in business again. I hope my supplies get here before Friday. I am doing Mountain Lakes Triathlon on Saturday and do NOT want to have to attempt to fix a flat during the race.

Speaking of Mountain Lakes, I FINALLY got Lana to sign up. So who is going to be there? Anyone up for a Friday night dinner?

Training wise...yesterday kicked off Rocket City Marathon training. Lana, Lisa, Joe and Mike met me at my house for a 7 mile run with 10 x 100 strides at the end. It was hot even at 7:00pm. We did my same old loop, which you can check out on Lana’s blog. Joe and Lisa quickly took the lead and Lana stayed right behind them while Mike and I pulled up the rear. Joe dropped out after 4.5 miles and Lana and Lisa missed a turn and had to run extra. My numbers look like this:
8:58, 9:26, 9:41, 9:48, 9:53, 9:41, 10:09
Total 7 miles in 1:07:34, 9:39 pace. My heart rate was 169 average and 183 max.
After the 7 miles Lana and I got a drink said good bye to everyone else and then did our 10 x 100’s. I was surprised how good I felt doing them. I messed up my Garmin program so don’t have my pace for them but best I can tell we did them all in between 6:30 and 6:45 pace.
Lana and I jumped in the pool to cool off after the strides. Perfect ending to a good run.

Today was a rest day and since it is the only one I am taking I enjoyed it.

Tomorrow is 9 miles bright and early. I gotta go read up on general aerobic paces/heart rates so that I can convince Lana to slow down some before she kills me!!

4 comments:

Tri-Dummy said...

Michelle...you're not keeping up with all the pretty graphs that Lana has on her blog.

Me either. The politically correct word for it: graph challenged.

Anonymous said...

Sound like a good start.

Lance Notstrong said...

Flat tires suck!!! I hate changing them. Good run though :-)

TriSonq said...

I just booked what seemed like one of the last rooms in Guntersville in the luxurious Super 8. I have to admit, I'm kinda scared?!?

I'm in for dinner Friday night. I'm not sure when I'll be getting into town. Planning on leaving early from work and pulling into G'ville by 5ish.