Sunday, August 05, 2007

Staggerwing Race Report

First, I want to say thank you to Flash and Mrs. Flash for cheering for me and all the pictures.

I got to Tullahoma about 6:30 and got my packet, body marked, and a spot in transition.

After Lana and Holly got there and set up, we all headed up the hill to the race start. We made use of the port-a-potties and listened to the pre race instructions.

They sent us out in waves of 25 three minutes apart. Holly was in the second group. This was her first ever multi-sport event. We cheered her on when they yelled go.
Lana, Kim, Mike, and I were in the 4th wave. I knew that there was no way I was keeping up with Lana, so I didn’t even try. The first run started by running over to the runway, an out and back on the runway, down a little gravel hill over to an asphalt trail where we did another out and back before going to transition. It was hot!!! I ran the 4K in 21:00 for an 8:28 pace.

I was in and out of transition in 0:54.

Then I was out on my bike. I felt good; it was much cooler riding then running. It didn’t take long and my right calf started to cramp. I thought if I just ignored it, it would go away. No such luck. It just kept getting worse and worse. I tried drinking knowing that it was probably dehydration causing the cramp. Then it moved up into my quad. I just pushed on. A girl passed me and said “You are one hard woman to catch” I noticed the 106 on her arm and the 35 on her leg. I commented that I had a 3 minute head start on her and it gave me a push. The course is basically downhill on the way out and uphill on the way back. I knew since I was heavier then this girl that I stood a better chance of beating her on the downhill. I tried to ignore the leg cramps that had moved to both calves now, and pushed hard. I made it to the turn around and saw that I didn’t have that big of a lead on her. We ended up passing back and forth for a while until I had to slow down to rub my legs. I was wondering if I was going to be able to run again. Finally I got back to the final flat and made my last push. 40K bike 58:51, 19 mph average.
I ran into T2 and the guy working there was talking to me, Flash was asking me if I saw someone on the course, and I was wondering if I could even run. I changed shoes and ran out of T2 WEARING MY BIKE HELMET!!! I realized just as I crossed the mat. I stopped, took it off, CROSSED THE MAT AGAIN, and then just threw my helmet in. Both women working the mat, yelled “she crossed twice” but I just kept going. T2 time 0:55.
The second run is just the first run backwards. I was amazed to find that my legs cramps were gone, but my heart rate was soaring. I saw Holly after the first turn around and then saw Lana not far behind. I told Lana she could catch Holly. At the second turn around when I saw Holly, I saw Lana wasn’t far behind and warned Holly that Lana was going to catch her. I made the turn and headed in to the finish line. Again I found myself all alone. The person ahead of me was way to far ahead to even try to catch and there was no one coming up from behind that I had to prevent from passing me. So my finish was not as strong as I would have liked. 4k run 22:28, 9:12 pace. Mach Tenn knows how to put on a post race party. I drank some water then headed for the beer truck.

Preliminary results were posted. Lana was 4th overall, Holly beat me by 24 seconds, and I was first in my age group. Then penalties were posted. The first overall female was hit with 6 minutes of penalties. The awards started and Lana got 3rd overall female. Holly got 3rd place in her age group (pretty impressive for her first multi sport event). I got second place AG. The girl with the penalties was in my age group and knocked me down to second!!!!!

We stayed until the party ended then walked back to our cars. Lana’s, Mike’s, and mine were the last 3 cars in the parking area.

The party continued at my pool.

Today kicks off marathon training. We are planning to do our first run tonight at 7:00 hoping that gives us time to rest today.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great race report.... the heat can really be a killer. Good luck on starting the "march" to Huntsville. I know that with the temps they are calling for this week, it will be a difficult week to start anything.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Great race, Michele. Too bad that girl got sent to your age group. That really stinks.

DV said...

great race! funny the cramps seemed to have gone away, or become more tolerable, when you got challenged on the bike... competition makes pain so much more tolerable.

Tri-Dummy said...

You and Lana are really rocking the house. IRONMAN FLORIDA??????

Phil said...

Great race report and congratulations on your strong finish.

Rae said...

You should've just run with the helmet on!! And how did she end up with 6 minutes of penalties???? Great race for all of you guys!

Good luck this weekend!!!!