Friday, August 24, 2007

Week 3- days 5, 6, and 7

Tuesday night I didn’t sleep well so I skipped class Wednesday morning. I started feeling better during the day so that evening I decided to take my bike out for a short spin. It was great to ride again.

Thursday Morning I met Lana and Mike at the Rec Center for a 4 mile recovery run and a 1000 yard swim. The run was uneventful and heart rate stayed right where it was suppose to. Lana and I had to share a lane at the pool and swam side by side the entire 1000 yards. I figure she was just staying with me so that she didn’t have to count laps.
Thursday evening Casey had cheerleading practice and I got a peek at the schedule. Her first game is at 8:00am the 8th, the same day as the HOW100. I don’t know what to do. Usually I would just skip the ride and forfeit the registration fee but for this ride I asked for sponsors. I have raised $415 for the Minnie Pearle Cancer foundation. The money still goes to the cause but I feel like I should ride since I told the people who sponsored me I would. I just hate to miss my daughters cheerleading. They are only young once.

Today was the long run, 14 miles. We met at Joe’s house at 4:30am again. I drake an Accelerade and ate a gu before we started. Joe had put out water and gu at mile 3. Lana and I were feeling fine so we skipped it and just kept on running. Joe caught right back up with us. We finished the first loop and grabbed gu and water at Joe’s mailbox. We knew we were going to be short so I was trying to come up with a plan so we didn’t have to run past Joe’s house for an out and back. I finally thought of Danbury. Lana and Joe were both ahead of me at this point so I yelled to Lana I had a plan and was going to catch up. I picked up the pace and told her the plan. Joe heard us discussing a change in route and came back to find out the new plan. I hung with them for a while and even got ahead when they stopped for water at mile 10. I enjoyed my short lived time in the lead. It was very short, within a half mile Lana was next to me and then Joe was there too. They both passed me again. I finished out the run almost catching up with Joe and Lana who were already walking the short distance to Joe’s. For some reason my Garmin’s miles are longer then Lana’s Garmin’s miles.
Splits look like this:
9:52, 9:33, 9:22, 9:20, 9:24, 9:01, 9:37 (water and gu), 9:13, 9:11, 9:13, 8:55, 9:22, 9:01, 8:41
14 miles in 2:09:46, 9:16 pace. 158 average heart rate

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are doing great! Stay with the plan. You will not regret it in the later weeks.

Kate said...

Good work guys! That's pretty speedy (plenty faster than the 14 miles I did by myself today)

Dubs said...

Nice job! Sounds like you are getting nice and strong.

I often find myself altering courses and figuring out ways to edit them while running. Keeps it entertaining! :)

MNFirefly said...

Great pace, Michele. Keep it up!

Marathon Maritza said...

Awesome job on the 14 miler!!

Yes, I am doing the 12-week plan, which one are you doing?

I haven't yet decided if the 12-week plan is going to kill me, or if it was a smart idea to only commit myself to 12 weeks of this insanity.

Again, excellent job!