Monday, December 04, 2006

Lost

I am feeling a little lost right now. I know it is the post marathon blues made even bluer by a missed goal.
I am eager to get back out there and train. I thought about a swim tomorrow but don’t want to listen to my husband preach so I will give it another day and maybe swim on Wednesday.
I have been looking at races today; I can’t run so might as well plan. I just can’t decide on what I want to do in 2007. Do I want to go long (half iron) or do I want to work on my speed and set a goal for the Olympic distance? Right now I am not feeling fast or enduring.
Speaking of which, what was up with my heart rate Saturday?? Lana and I had already discussed how high it was and then Lance commented on it. I didn’t feel like I was working that hard. Matter of fact at the end I threw in the towel. Once I saw 4 hours out of reach I gave up. Why kill myself for 4:01? All or nothing for me.
Ok back to 2007 goals…
Team magic is offering a discount for each race that you sign up for by Dec 31st. I don’t even want to know what I spent in 2006 on entry fees so any discount I can get I need to take advantage of, but it is not a savings if you don’t do the race. So I really need to determine my goals.
I don’t even know if a half iron is within reach. The one I am looking at is the Gulf Coast Triathlon May 12th. Can I get ready and finish it with a respectable time?
Also, this past season I raced a LOT. I really enjoyed it. I LOVED having an “event” almost every weekend, but did that hurt me? Should I just pick a few events and really focus on those? That being said, I also did really well. I placed in my age group in just about all the short distance events. I came no where close in the longer events.
Lost! What’s next? Where do I want to go???

8 comments:

DawnB said...

I know you are feeling a little down right now!! just wanted to congratulate you!! although you missed your goal!!still an outstanding effort.

Anonymous said...

This is very foreign to me. Maybe if I ever get as passionate about running as you, I'll begin to understand. Whether you want to hear it or not, I still feel you did an incredible job.
It was hard to know how to push someone that's just run farther in 3-something hours than I've ever run in any two-week span. Probably something you and I should have discussed prior to the race. Next year, Emerson, I'm cracking the whip and there will be no mercy!

MNFirefly said...

Hang in there, Michelle. You need to rest for another day or so. It's okay to feel the feeling and let them flow. Holding it in does not help.

Kate said...

You'll feel better soon.

My vote-Do fewer races and nail that Olympic distance. We all want to go too far, too fast, do too much. That's what makes us run/do triathlons! But you still have plenty of time to get stronger at the oly before hitting the half. Then you will be ready to kick some half-m and marathon butt!

PS- I think there will be a tri suit in my Xmas stocking. If I learn to start out of my bike shoes, T1 will be a blur!

Phil said...

I'll keep telling you this .... running a 4:04 marathon is fantastic. You ARE an awesome athlete and have accomplish things that mere mortals never even consider trying. You'll feel better soon.

I suggest that you look at races as tune ups for a bigger event. Therefore, plan your race schedule around a 6 month goal; racing shorter events to focus on your speed and middle distance races to focus on your pace. I adopted this strategy this past year and it has worked very well. I think it would work for you also. Through your intermediate races, you can see yourself progressing without burning yourself out and falling out of your training schedule.

What ever you decide, we’ll be out here supporting you.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Hi Michele, I just made a POST on FOOOD, what you Runners like to EAT. What gives you the FUEL your body needs!

If you can stop by when you get a chance and share a little bit on what ENERGIZES you that would be great...

Lot's to learn here but WILL learn it and DO IT,

Bob

Dubs said...

Know what you mean about the planning thing - just don't sign up for too much. Pace yourself on when you place the races and then you can slowly get your head back in there. Don't let missing your goal beat you up too much. Think back on your other good races and accomplishments and listen to us (your fan club). We'll help you get your spirit back!

Hang in there - I'm proud of you for doing the race!!!

Marathon Maritza said...

Don't lose sight of the awesome accomplishment it is to FINISH. (I am reminding myself too!)

But I hear ya on the "blues," it's like you read my mind...I was scouring race calendars almost all day yesterday, planning out 2007.