Saturday, December 02, 2006

Memphis St. Jude Marathon Race Report

This morning Dawn’s son started hollering down the hall at 5:00, “Is it time to get up?” To say he was exited doesn’t even come close to how he was feeling.
We all got up at 5:30 and got ready to go. JT, a friend of Dawn’s, who was running his first marathon, showed up right on time at 6:15. We headed out in the COLD (29 degrees). By the time we got to downtown it was up to 31. We parked in the parking garage right next to AutoZone Park and walked over. We found the bathrooms then a warm room to stand in. Dawn’s 5k started at 7:45 a few block away so she checked her bag and walked to her start. Her son, JT and I stayed in the warmth a little while longer. Finally we decided we better get to the start. I got my bag checked and we walked the 2 or 3 blocks to the start.
We got there too early and I froze waiting for the race to start. Finally the start gun fired and the first runners were off. It was a wave start so it took 3 minutes+ for it to be my turn.
I saw an old boss at the first water stop at mile one and then another old boss at a turn at mile 4. My fingers were finally thawed and getting warm so I took off my gloves.
I felt fine and was right on pace for a 4-hour finish.
Chris was right where he said he was going to be at mile 22 and he jumped out with me. That was a perfect because I wasn’t feeling so great anymore. I was still right on pace.
I fell apart at mile 24. I had to walk and was losing ground.
By the 25-mile marker I knew I wasn’t going to make my 4-hour goal.
Chris ran/walked with me until mile marker 26. He told me “No more walking, you have it now.” I make the turn and headed into AutoZone Park. I had to kick to give and was just happy to see the finish. I crossed the line in 4:04:23. I was VERY disappointed.
I got my foil blanket, medal (which is very nice), and a bottle of water. I had the chip removed and then saw Dawn and her son. I couldn’t hold in the disappointment and cried, “I didn’t make it.”
Chris found us in the stands and then my friends Mark and Angie called and found us too. Angie had beer in her backpack. Man I love that girl.
We drank some beers and celebrated everyone else’s victories. Dawn ran the entire 5K in 39 minutes. You are awesome girl. Thanks for being there for me. Love you too. Dawn’s 11-year-old son, who has never run more then 5 miles, finished the half marathon in 2:26. What and accomplishment!!!
After a few beers we headed over to Peabody Place for the party. We drank a few more beers and waited on JT to call. He had finished in about 5:10 and went to the locker rooms to shower. When he got there we finished up our appetizers and headed home. I took and ice bath and tried to nap but was just too cold. I gave up and took a hot shower.
Now we are going to meet friends for Mexican.

Please don’t tell me how 21 minutes is a great improvement. I have heard it and I am really trying to be happy but right now I just want to wallow in my disappointment.

Thanks to everyone for your encourage, advice, and well wishes.

15 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Michele 21 mins is a great improvement :-)

Hi Michele great blog I found yours from Lana's ... I am a newbie runner/blogger and training for my first marathon next year...

What you have done so far to a newbie like me is very inspirational so thanks...it's ok to have a pity moment but with what you have done in the past I am SURE you will be over it very soon...

Bob

Kate said...

I'm not going to say it, and I know how you feel. Missing goals is horrible, even if you come really really close (which you did). What I WILL say is that 4:04 is an excellent time, and being able to run well up to 24 is amazing. You also know that you have sub-4 in you.

Also- you have done a phenomenal job of balancing family and training this year. You have run through sickness, and you have gotten up insanely early to get the miles in. Your intervals have been solid, and your long runs have also improved. 3:59:59, 4:04- whatever it is, you're an amazing athlete, and an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I think you did GREAT! One suggestion, write down lessons learned today. They will serve you well in the future. You're still a "hardcore" runner in my book!

Phil said...

OK ... we won't talk about a 21 minutes improvement (although that was great). 4:04 is a great time, few folks on the planet ever accomplish this. You are still an amazing runner and will bust a sub 4:00:00 wide open on your next marathon. (of course then you'll be kicking yourself because you didn't go under 3:45).

Great run Michele. Have a few more beers and just relax for a few days.

Dubs said...

OK - I won't say that, but I'm thinking it. :)

Just know - you have other races.. and coming that close with some walking says a lot - you know you can totally pull it off next time. When I get mad at a race time, I just think of what I got out of this one and what I learned and then just think of the next one. Hang in there and go have a beer. :D

Hey - faster than my marathon time, oh, that's right - I still don't have the balls to do one. :)

Thomas said...

I know how disappointing it is to miss a goal, and you were so close, until mile 24. Michele, we've all been there and lived through it.

Next time it will only require a tiny improvement and you're under the 4 hours barrier. It will happen, don't worry.

jen said...

Michele, I know you are dissapointed, and I can't tell you not to be. You are let down because you trained SO hard, with so many awesome training runs, and you had an ambitious goal. You could have made your goal "4:05" and you would have nailed it, but you are brave and hard-core and wanted to really challenge yourself.

I know you will feel better soon, and you will come to realize that 4:04 is a totally awesome finish time, and such a big improvement is due to your devotion to training and overall bad-ass-ness (just made that word up), and you WILL nail that sub-4 next time. You are an awesome runner and I hope in a few days your are beaming with pride. Great job out there today. :)

Unknown said...

As someone who has made failing to break that 4 hour mark an art form, I understand exactly where you are coming from with your disappointment. All I can say is use those feelings as motivation to succeed next time. I have always learned more from my failures than from my successes, so make sure to go back through your log and the race and think how you can improve next time...and we know there will be a next time.

Also, as an athlete who has competed in a lot of different sports up through the college level, I can tell you that some days, no matter how well prepared, no matter how well trained or focused some days you just don't have it. Even the elites blow up sometimes. So review the day. It may be that you did everything right, but it just wasn't meant to be today. Use it to fuel tomorrow.

Trisaratops said...

OK, I won't say it, either...:)

But you STILL kick butt. I will say that and you can't stop me!

I know that must be disappointing...but again, I second the fact that what you did is a VERY good time, and especially considering you are also a Mom, wife, and friend to many people....tremendous job! I hope someday I can balance all as well as you.

LoneStarCrank said...

Not a word uttered that includes the four letter word, "F-O-U-R"... but I will use the letters I-M-P-R-E-S-S-I-V-E!"

You are incredible to fit everthing into your busy schedule without sacrificing your family time.... that, to me, is more impressive than any time goal!

Rock on!

Joe said...

> Please don’t tell me how 21 minutes
> is a great improvement.

I was going to but I guess I won't. I bet that post-race beer was satisfying though!

Lance Notstrong said...

I understand you being upset Michele. I've followed your blog all through your marathon training. I know how you've trained in some awful conditions (cold, rain, etc), so I know you must have wanted this really bad. Whether you want to hear it or not, 4:04 is pretty damn kickass if you ask me!!!

Rae said...

Well, pretty much everyone else has already said it, so that is a really great time and a massive improvement in just a few months!!

I hope when a few days have passed you'll be happier with your performance and hopefully you had fun out there. Either way, the Memphis marathon is for a great cause and you helped some really deserving kids.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Michele, I didn't really know what to say here, and still don't...other than you are an amazing runner and athlete...and you'll get it next time no doubt. **Hugs**

Ewen said...

You'll make it Michele. Train for a sub 3:50. Getting your 10k time down will make a big difference. Good luck .