Sunday, December 03, 2006

Thanks, Splits and Pics

First off I want to say how great of a race the Memphis St. Jude marathon was. It was very well organized and there were tons of wonderful volunteers out there. They had water and Gatorade at EVERY mile and Gu at miles 7 and 15.
Despite the cold, there were tons of people out cheering on the runners.
The police did a great job keeping the runners safe. I even had one jump in front of a moving car to keep the little old lady from running me over. The Memphis drivers were not the most patient people I have ever seen.

Next, I want to say how great my friends and family are.
Dawn, there is so much to say about her. She is NOT a runner yet she signed up for and ran the Grizzly 5k. She took Friday off of work to go downtown with me and get our packets. She went shopping for some cold gear tights for me, that proved to be the perfect running pants. She opened her home to me. She ran sick. She waited around in the cold for HOURS to watch me finish.
Chris has never run more then a 4 mile race, yet he volunteered to run with me those critical final miles when I knew I would need the most push. Just knowing that he would be at mile 22 kept me moving and on pace.
Angie and Mark found babysitters for all 3 of their kids and came all the way downtown to watch me finish and bring me beer! Then they got Angie’s sister to keep the kids that night so that they could come out to diner with me.
Ellen and Paul met me for breakfast this morning.
Lana has pushed me to train harder. She has run long runs with me and made me run intervals faster then I thought I ever could. She also understood my disappointment. While everyone else was telling me I should be happy with a 21 minute improvement, she knew how I felt.
My husband puts up with me getting up before 5 every morning to train. He supports me in every way. He even had the house clean when I got home.
My kids ran up to me as soon as I walked into the door to tell me how much they missed me and how much they love me. They were totally impressed with my medal.
Everyone who has left me advice, encouragement, or comments on my blog.

Now some data and pics from marathon weekend.
Splits from my Garmin:



Dawn’s son, Dawn, me and JT pre-race




Me post race with my medal and refreshment



Angie and Mark

9 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Great Post Michele.

LOVE the pic of you with the Medal and beer...also WOW on the SUPPORT from your Friends & family that is sooo awesome!!... and what is COOL is you Inspired them as well...

Way to go,

Bob

Phil said...

Thanks for posting the splits. You got some fast miles in during the first 10 miles ... probably contributed to your slow down at the end. I know this is frustrating, but you've got a lot of great training behind you. You'll bust under 4:00 hours on the next race.

MNFirefly said...

Awesome post. You ROCK! Congrads!

Beanie said...

I'll add my belated congrats to the pile. Sorry you were dissapointed - but look at it this way: it leaves the excitement of smashing your goal for another day...

D said...

Hello Michele. I just found your site through Phil's. Congrats on your recent marathon PR. I absolutely can relate to being disappointed despite the huge amount of time cut off to PR. The good news is that you can smash the 4 hour mark next time. You've proven that you can cut off huge amounts of time!

Papa Louie said...

Congratualtions on your marathon efforts! Based on this post of thanks I think you learned a lot during your training and racing experience.

Lance Notstrong said...

Wow Michele......you really know how to suffer!!! You're ave HR's are off the chart!!! I'm thinking I will hold no higher than a 165 ave for my marathon next weekend. To stay in the 170 the entire time is awesome. You rock!!!

Marathon Maritza said...

I know you didn't get the time you wanted, but I am so proud of you! You did awesome and at a 29-degree start no less!

You still rock in my book. :)

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Gosh those are some good looking splits all the way to mile 24....it scares me!