Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Battle

You would think the hardest part of getting up early to run would be the getting up. But every morning when that alarm goes off I get out of bed just fine, it is the staying out of bed and getting out the door that is the problem. This morning was no exception. The alarm went off at 5:15. I got out of bed and went potty. I was thinking to myself, “It is summer vacation, I don’t have to work today, the kids will sleep until at least 7, I just want to get back in bed.” This continued the ENTIRE time I got dressed, changed out the batteries in my Garmin and MP3 player, and even for the first mile or so of my run. Then a new battle started. I have been trying to run sub 9:00 miles. It wasn’t happening today. First mile was 9:04 and second 9:11. I kept trying to push my legs harder but they were having none of it. I even tried promising them a strawberry banana milk shake if they could get me in under a 9:00 average but they failed, so it is rabbit food today! I ran 10 miles in 1:31:55 for an average pace of 9:12. When I got home I drank a large glass of water and crawled back into bed. I fell right to sleep and slept for 20 minutes before my son came in to wake me up. The sheets are in the washer now!!

The Bell Buckle 10 mile run is in just over a week and last year I ran it in 1:30:26. I have trained a lot more then I did before the race last year. I should be able to beat my time but today did not give me any warm fuzzy feelings.

It is going to be another beautiful day. I get to dig up more fence posts and if I can figure out how to get the cord out of the weed eater I will finish that job too. Then it will be lounging by the pool. Have a great day!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Michele:

Stumbled upon your blog. I'm right up the road in Nashville. I was in Tullahoma last weekend watching my wife do the Mach Tenn Tri. I'll be at Moon Pie next weekend. I'm already dreading "the hill." Good luck with your sub-9:00/mile quest. My method is to start slower than goal pace and ease into it, especially on early-morning runs and races. May want to try it some time -- go 9:30, 9:20, 9:10, then 9:00s. It allows all your biological systems to gradually find hemeostasis, and you'll find that you'll drop down to around 8:40s by the end of your run and more than make up for the 1:00 minute cut-down at the beginning. Stay cool this summer.

LPM

teacherwoman said...

Sounds somewhat like my morning! easy to get out of bed, but hard to get out the door and on my feet! Way to go though! You did it anyway!

Anonymous said...

Don't know what it is, I guess I'm getting old, but I am just slower in the morning. I don't have a problem getting out the door. It is just that I'm slower than normal. It just takes longer for me to warm up.

You are beginning to make me worry even more about "the hill".

Brooke said...

The lounging by the pool sounds awesome, the rest sounds like too much work for someone who ran 10 miles today.
ha, just kidding.

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

9:12 pace sounds great to me!!!

Last I heard the track was still closed....but I haven't been back to see for myself.

E-Speed said...

I need to learn this from you, I have a hard time getting out of bed, much harder than actually getting out the door.