Sunday, June 04, 2006

Mach Tenn Tri

Wednesday the lake was 81 degrees so they said wetsuits would not be allowed. We got a LOT of rain Thursday and Friday and a cool front moved in. Race morning the lake was down to 76, wetsuits became legal. I don’t have a wetsuit so I was really hoping for warmer water but Lana has one and wanted to wear it. I am told that the wetsuits help you float and are therefore an advantage but I don’t know. Anyway, a lot of people were happy that they were getting to wear wetsuits. We got to the race WAY early for a change and had a lot of time to kill. We got race packets, got body marked, set up transition, ate half a Luna bar, woke poor Briar up about 10 times, then finally put on running shoes and ran up a hill to get warmed up.
Then it was finally time to line up on the beach.
The swim was a long one by my standards and a lake swim. They lined you up based on your predicted swim and bike times so I was 237. I had lots of time to watch how people enter the water. I ran into the water when it was my turn and the race had started for me. I don’t know why I swim so much better during practice and then struggle so much race day. I was breathing every other stoke so I know that slowed me down but I get so worried about getting off track in the lake and I just seem to be out of breath racing. I saw Holly on the pier and waved to her. I got out of the lake and my legs actually felt a little wobbly. I jogged into transition and went to the wrong bike rack. I found the right rack and got ready to bike (sockless). I grabbed a handful of sport beans and saw a guy struggling to get his socks on. Then I ran my bike to the mounting line, saw Lana’s family cheering for me, and was off on the bike route.
I am glad Lana and I rode it Wednesday because I knew what to expect. I got too much joy out of passing people and checked out each one of their numbers to see how much time I was making up. Then I realized I forgot to but on my race number belt, hoped to remember it at transition. After the first couple of miles I felt like I was out there alone. I got passed by a few people and caught up with some other people later in the race. The bike went about like I expected it to and there is still a lot of room for improvement. I ran back into transition. I racked my bike, changed from helmet to hat, changed shoes, and ate part of a gel.
I saw Lana’s family again just as I was getting started. It was great to have them cheer me on and Holly yells “You are flying”. That got me really motivated. I finished the first mile in 7:30. I saw Lana on her way back and cheered for her. As I was approaching the turn around, a gust of wind blew my hat off. I went back for it as a guy yells “No, you never go back for anything”. I made the turn and headed back. I still felt good. I made it to the 3 mile water station and grabbed some water as I passed and dumped it down the front of me the guy yelled after me only 1 mile and 2 more hills (it is a very hilly route).
I just kept picking people off to pass and made it to the final chute and turned up the speed to sprint pass a guy in a white hat. At the finish line they handed me a cold towel and Lana and her family were there.
We loaded up all our stuff then got some food. They had a GREAT post race spread. I will be doing this race again next year.
Splits:
0.6 mile Swim – 20:38
T1 – 1:52
16 mile Bike – 54:20
T2 – 1:18
4 mile Run – 31:55
I ended up 7th in my age group and 183 overall. Lana kicked my butt, of course. Thanks to Lana’s dad for the pictures, that I can NOT get to post for some reason.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats....on a great race!

Scott said...

Way to go on your race! Not bad for a crazy, last-minute decision and less than a week after your other triathlon. Do you ever take recovery time?
How about that run? Near as I can tell, you got a sub 8:00/mile pace there.
Great job.

Trisaratops said...

Great job! Looks like you two had lots of fun!

mouse said...

loooooooooove the shot of you sticking your tongue out on the run! :)

great job on the race! You tri girls amaze me!

Michele said...

Mouse you have some awesome eyes!!! I was making a face at Lana's family who was yelling how great I was doing and I was TIRED!!!!

Janet Edwards said...

Way to go on a great race!

It is truly awesome that Lana & you can race together and support one another!!

Rae said...

Awesome job on the race!! You guys are tearing it up this year!!