Friday, June 09, 2006

I Hate Hills

Man, I am wiped. I guess it is from the 8 hours of sun yesterday. We had nowhere to be yesterday and took full advantage of that fact. Casey slept until 9:45 and we were out poolside at 10. I tried to dig up another fence post but the ground has gotten HARD. Plus the one I was working on has a lot of tree roots around it, so I just gave up. We had people coming and going all day so we stayed out until 6. I actually got into the pool at about 5:30, after the lake swim of 76 degrees 83 didn’t feel so cold. The kids took turns riding on my back while I attempted to swim the 30’ length of the swallow end, switching kids after each lap. That was hard.
So when the alarm went off at 4:40 this morning, I did not want to get up. And knowing hills was the plan did not make it any easier. Some how I managed to drag myself out of bed and out the door to the Rec Center. I started at the parking lot and ran 0.31 miles to jail hill in 2:59 then I ran up and down the hill 6 times.
up 0.30 miles each 2:36, 2:38, 2:40, 2:48, 2:49, 2:49
down 0.30 miles each 2:55, 2:54, 2:53, 2:51, 2:50, 2:41
then the 0.29 miles back to the parking lot in 2:53
Grand total of 4.20 miles in 39:25 (9:23 pace)
Notice I got slower each time up the hill but faster down. Wonder if the faster down had anything to do with the slower up???
I had planned to swim but by the time I was done running I just didn’t have the energy. Now I feel guilty.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are going to be ready for "the hill" next Saturday.

Tammy said...

Stopping yourself from falling while running downhill takes more energy, so it would make sense that as you got more tired, you ran downhill faster. It's an isometric contraction, which I'm sure you'll be feeling in the morning :)

Nice workout! I have some intervals planned on the track Sunday morning that I am only half looking forward to. :P

Joe said...

Wow, you really are dedicated. Most people would not get up at 4:40 AM to run hills for 40 minutes. Good for you!

So, it sounds like you have your own pool. Is that correct? I'd love to replace my wife's garden with a pool.

Michele said...

Yes, we just put the pool in in Oct and I LOVE it. It is worth every cent!!!

Rae said...

So when is the big RBF pool party???