Sunday, June 25, 2006

McMinnville City Triathlon – Race Report

Kim and I headed for McMinnville Saturday morning at 5:30. I had checked the weather forecast Friday afternoon and it looked great; partly cloudy, cooler temps and no rain. On the way to the race, the sun was trying to break through the clouds and made for a pretty sunrise.
We got to McMinnville Civic Center at 6:00 and did all the pre race stuff. I was surprised to see Mike N. He had said at the Moon Pie race last weekend that he was thinking about trying triathlons but he hadn’t been on his bike in YEARS. Well there he was and he ended up doing GREAT.

The weather ended up delaying the race start about 30 minutes and there was even talk of making it a duathlon. But we finally got started with the tri at about 8:00.
It was an interval start in a pool and Lana was starting a few people ahead of me. I had used my Mach Tenn swim pace and calculated an estimated swim time of 7:40. I blew it away. Swim time 6:55.

Lana and I entered T1 together and she was in and out in no time. I took a little longer. T1 time 1:39.
As I left T1 on the bike, my chin strap came undone. I managed to get it refasten pretty quickly while riding, but I spent the rest of the race worried about a DQ. I passed Lana who was on the side of the road trying to get her chain back on but it didn’t take her long and she was flying by me. I was coming off a cloverleaf and making a right onto the road when this girl comes flying around me. At first I was irritated but not concerned because she had a 30 written on her leg, then I realized it was Lana. I kept her is sight for a long time and pushed myself to keep up. Bike time 49:04.
I entered transitions again and was getting my bike racked when I saw this guy who had come into transitions with me take off running in his helmet and bike shoes. I was wondering what in the world he was doing when I saw him go to the relay tent. I got ready for my run deciding to go hatless this time since it has caused me so much trouble in my last two races, plus I don’t have a hat to match. I grabbed some beans and headed out. T2 time 1:11.

Lana’s dad was right there to capture me shoving beans in my mouth as I started the run. I did not think I would EVER get to the first mile marker and I felt like I was barely moving. I tried to push myself harder but my legs just wouldn’t move faster. I was surprised to see at the first mile marker that I was close to an 8 minute pace. There was one steep but very short hill in the second mile and a lot of the third mile was the same as the half marathon I had done there last October. As I went by the civic center and ran back into the park I knew I was almost there. Then I saw the 3 mile marker and pushed with everything I had left. Run time 25:48.

Total race time 1:24:37. Good enough to get me 2nd place in my age group.

Us Manchester Tri athletes put in a good showing. Leslie got 2nd place overall and Lana got 3rd place in her age group.

Thanks to Lana’s dad AGAIN for taking pictures and being there to cheer us on.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great race report! Congrats on a good race!

JamieW said...

Congrats on the fast race. I love the pictures--and of course the prize mug is my favorite.

teacherwoman said...

Congrats! Sounds like fun!!

SRR said...

Ewww...Fantastic! 2nd place huh? That's something to gloat about!

Great pics! I see buldging muscle! So jealous...

Trisaratops said...

Great pics--and great report! Love the hardware, too! :)

E-Speed said...

great job! I always feel slower than I am on the run too after a bike :)

Rae said...

Awesome job!!! Congrats on a great time and some hardware!

I swear you guys never take a break!

Great report and I love the pics!

Joe said...

Second place! How cool is that!

Fe-lady said...

That is SO cool that you got second place in AG- and you can remind yourself every morning when you have your coffe!
I just love the photo you have on your blog front page. You look as if you are really working! Great shot-! :-)