Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I Can Still Swim

This morning I got up and went to the pool. I have been avoiding the Rec Center because of all the new years resolutioners. I haven’t swam in ages, but today I decided to brave the crowd. I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of people there. I was the only person at the pool. The water was warm and it felt great to swim. I did my 1750 yards in 36:41, an improvement from my last swims.
I rushed home to get cleaned up and get the kids to school. I had volunteered to help the second graders assemble books they are writing. I spent two and a half hours at the school. When I got home I ate a bowl of vegetable soup and then got on my trainer for an hour. I just watched a movie and should have pushed myself a little harder. Afterwards I did some ab work.

Phil thanks for your comment. I know I am in a rut. I was thinking yesterday that I need to start “speed work Mondays” again. I hate speed work and since I am currently without a plan it is really hard to make myself do it. so, I need a plan. Using David’s race calculator, I figured out an 18 week program for the Gulf Coast Tri (half iron) should have started Sunday and an 18 week program for Memphis in May Tri (Olympic) starts Monday. Yes, it is time to get a plan and get back to work.

8 comments:

Joe said...

You went to the rec center to swim? I thought you had your own pool?

I don't understand why everyone hates speed work so much. I love it! It's short and sweet and much more fun than Long Run Sunday.

Good luck with Speedwork Mondays!

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean about what a friend of mine calls "nyrps" (pronounced nerps - new years resolution people) I went to the y on Sunday to lift weights and swim. There were so many people in the water I could have walked across the pool without getting my feet wet! So I only did the weight machines.

Don't forget the Tom King. I need someone to run with.

TriShannon said...

Glad to hear you had the same luck at the pool as I did. I love it when I get the water to myself!

I find it difficult to push myself, or even stay focused on training when I don't have a plan. I had to have my coach give me a 2 month pre-plan plan just so that I wasn't aimlessly training or slacking off before my actual plan started.

MNFirefly said...

Nice job on getting yourself to the pool.

Phil said...

It's not hard to get into a rut after a big race. You'll learn to love speed work as you see it helping you get faster and stronger. I'm anxious to see your new training plan for your next 1/2 Iron Tri

Lance Notstrong said...

I hate all the new years resolution people too. I feel like tell them them, "you are probably going to quit, so get out of my way"!!! :-)

Marathon Maritza said...

I'll join you in the rut, since that's where I apparently am as well. What do we do here? Wallow? Encourage? Eat candy?

:) We'll get back the mojo, don't worry. :)

Kate said...

Wow! 18 weeks is soon!
Good work with the swim- I've been working hard in the pool to get to that sort of speed!