Wednesday, January 17, 2007

So Excited

I got up at 4:25 this morning and drove over to the Rec Center. It was 27 degrees with a wind chill of 20. I tried to make today a tempo run. I ran the first mile as a warm up in 10:03, then I picked up the pace and race the next two miles in 8:27 and 8:40, then I slowed back down for the cool down mile of 9:57. My tempo pace wasn’t as fast as it should have been but I was COLD. Don’t I get to subtract like 10 seconds for every degree below freezing??
After the run I went inside for Cindy’s one hour toning class. She felt the need to do lots of legs today.
Cindy had the first bit of good news. The St. Pat’s 5k will be on March 10th so I can run it this year as well as the Tom King half the next weekend. While I was getting that registration form, I also picked up a form for the Sweethearts 5k that is Feb 10th. Ronnie agreed to run that with me as my sweetheart.
After class I rushed home and got ready for work and checked my daughter’s temperature. It was 99.6 and she REALLY wanted to go to school. Her reasoning isn’t because she loves school but because at the end of the year all the kids with perfect attendance get in a drawing for a bike. I wrote the teacher a note and dropped them off at school. No day off without pay!! BTW, she seems fine now, still a little warm but playing. Thanks for all the well wishes.
More good news came from Jill. She told me about a swim coach in Brentwood that has a triathlete swim class on Monday and Wednesday evenings. I have checked into it and hope to go for the “free trial” next Wednesday. It is a much better deal then that swim camp we were looking at.
Finally, I have decided to do the Gulf Coast Triathlon. My reasons for not going were really stupid. Price increase is February 1 so I will be signing up at the end of the month. Now I just gotta try to find a reasonable place to stay.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you can subtract 20 seconds per degee below freezing. BTW, the aquatics center is just a stone's throw from my house.

Trisaratops said...

Excited for you to do your first 70.3!!! :) Yay!

MNFirefly said...

Nice job on the workout!

Kate said...

Woohoo!!

Triathlete swim workout sounds cool! I'm definitely on the lookout for something like that

DV said...

i'm also doing my first half (florida half im) im in may...
there's something about it that has me way excited!

And if it's freezing and you run outside, you can declare any time you like as far as I'm concerned. Me and freezing don't coexist peacefully!