Thursday, March 30, 2006

Week 16 - Day 4

This morning before school Casey was drawing pictures of our family. Each person was doing the thing they liked best. Bryce came running back to my room to ask me what I liked to do best. He then started making a snoring noise. I said “No, I like to run best”. He went running back to Casey to tell her I like to run but she had already drawn me in a bed. I don’t know where they got this “Mom likes to sleep” idea. Sure I like to sleep only because I get so little of it. Bryce has referred to me a lazy more then once. Kids!!!

I didn’t think I was going to get my new seat on my bike but brut force prevailed and I got it changed out.
So I set off on my ride at about noon. It was beautiful out. I rode out Maple Springs Road. I have lived here almost 4 years and have never been more then 2 miles down that road. Now I know why, there isn’t anything out there. At about four and a half miles I saw this big white fluffy dog run toward me, thankful he was behind a fence but his buddy the pit bull was not. He chased after me for a little bit. I managed to out run him without falling off my bike. Major feat for me. I continued down Maple Springs Road until I got to a four way stop. This was at about eight and a half to nine miles. I turned around and headed back. I didn’t realize until this point that there was any wind and that it had been at my back, now I was riding into a good headwind. I did some quick math and determined I would be encountering the pit bull again at about 12-13 miles. Sure enough right at 13 miles I saw the white fluffy dog inside the fence and the pit bull asleep on the porch of a trailer. I started peddling as fast as I could and got past the trailer before he spotted me. He ran off the porch and chased me but I just kept going and he gave up. The rest of the ride was uneventful, just a bunch of cows and birds that I freaked out. I ended up riding 16.80 miles in 1:00:45. I am calling that an even swap for the 6 mile run that was scheduled for today.
My new seat is much better then the old one but I still don’t see myself doing any really long rides. I hope to do an Olympic distance Triathlon this year and that is as far as I want to ride. Now that my seat issue is resolved I have to figure out what to do about my hands. Leaning on them during the ride makes them hurt. Using the areobars is better but I am still not very comfortable on them (I feel like I am going to tip).
After school, the kids, dog and I walked another mile. Peyton met up with her boyfriend again but she was much less interested in him today. Then we went to Casey’s softball practice. We picked up Sonic and got home in time to watch Survivor.
Tomorrow’s forecast is for rain, so now I have to decide if I want to wait and see what it is like in the morning or go ahead and plan on an indoor run. Yuck!!!!


What I ate today:
Oatmeal
Dried Fruit
Water
Turkey and cheese on a tortilla
Route 44 Diet Coke
Chili Cheese Fries (fell off the wagon again)

1 comment:

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Congrats on getting back in the saddle! Sounds like a good ride. Gotta watch those dogs, though!